Search This Blog

Tuesday 8 November 2011

A big week (and it's only Tuesday!)

Tom is certainly developing fast at the moment.

Monday - I took him swimming as usual.  I've not been able to let him go (when wearing armbands) yet - he's screamed the place down each time I've tried it.  At the beginning of the session he was the same as usual, but me being me I didn't give up and kept trying.  He finally did it!  He suddenly discovered that if he kicks his legs he propels himself and can move.  Hurray!  He managed to kick along a couple of widths and then I'll move him out to the middle of the pool and tell him to get to the edge which we did.  I was so proud and he was pleased with himself, although he did get tired and grumpy at the end, but can't blame him really.  He got lots of hugs and kisses.  Although to put it in perspective, there was a 2.5 year old girl in the pool with him swimming widths and jumping in with no buoyancy aids at all - couldn't believe my eyes when I saw her, didn't realise 2.5 year olds were capable of swimming!

Tuesday - I'd been wondering what to do about nursery and nappies so called them for advice, explaining that we had started potty training and that Tom was doing pretty well, but not great when wearing anything more than pants.  They told me to risk it and take in plenty of spare pants and trousers, which is what I did.  He cried as usual when I left him (to be expected these days).  When I went to get him after lunch, I was wondering which trousers he would be wearing and how big a bag of washing I would get.  To my utter surprise he was wearing exactly the same trousers I left him in.  I couldn't believe it.  He greeted me with a huge beaming smile and the staff rushed to tell me no accidents.  Wow!  Apparently he really liked being part of the 'toilet culture' taking his turn on the potty and even sat on the toilet too.  What an angel.  Another proud moment.  He did well this afternoon as well, only had one poo accident which was my fault as I didn't get to him quickly enough to help him with his jeans, but all wees went in the potty without event.  He really is growing up...

No comments: