Search This Blog

Saturday 7 September 2013

School Boy

School Boy
We have a school boy!

Finally on Friday afternoon he started school.  He was only there for 2hrs 15mins - shorter than a pre-school day.

He was excited to go, he said earlier in the day that he thought that school was going to be good and fun.  It's comforting to know he obviously has a positive attitude to it all.

We both took him to his new classroom, where he was warmly welcomed by Mrs Pickard and Mrs Tennant and some of the other mums who know him (including Sally who works at Smile and has a little girl - Caitlyn starting.  Tom and Caitlyn have never met as they went to Ingleton Pre-school and Smile on different days).

I think Tom was a little overwhelmed by it all - it has been 10 weeks after all since he was last there.  He was beginning to get clingy when he spotted Freya.  He went over to her and she gave him a huge hug.  He immediately relaxed and went off with her to play in the water.  We took our queue and left.  (Phew - thank you Freya!)

Got home to find that someone had posted me a card. It was from Matt.  A lovely card telling me what a good job I have done bringing up Tom.  I immediately burst into tears (so much for keeping it together at school!)  My reaction almost got to Matt as well - although he did look pleased with himself for bringing me to tears.  Anyway it was a lovely surprise and wonderful sentiment, very nice to be appreciated.

Once I had pulled myself together, I got out Ben's cake (next door neighbour who is football mad and just turned 7).  I decided to make life difficult for myself and make an actual football for him - I discovered it isn't easy!  I managed to get it done just within the 2 hours and then we headed out in torrential rain and wind to collect him.  Tom came happily out and was full of smiles.  He didn't seem to notice the very very bad weather and chatted all the way home.  We then sat down together to read his book (all about heavy vehicles).

To finish off the day we headed into Settle for a curry.  Tom almost fell asleep on the way there (2 hours at school can tire out a boy you know!)

Anyway a successful first day.   I sincerely hope he has a good time at school and takes away only good memories.

No comments: