Search This Blog

Tuesday 4 February 2014

Train weekend

Happy Boy
So on Saturday we had a busy day in Kendal.  We had found out last week that there was a model railway show at the leisure centre there over the weekend.  We know Tom loves these, so we headed over for a look.  It was quite big - I think there were about 10 to 15 layouts including one which must have had about 50 different trains on it.  It was mesmerising - even for me as there were always a good 2 or 3 trains on the move, and they kept changing.

There were a number of other good layouts including one which was almost of Shrewsbury.
Watching closely
I must admit I did feel very female - there were only a couple of us there. As is usual at these events it was all old men and young boys with their Dads.  I was very disappointed with the lack of facial hair amongst the old men though - I thought it was compulsory to have a beard if you have a model train layout?!

Anyway, it was a good use of a very rainy morning and well thought out. They even had sturdy plastic steps to rent so that small boys could see the layouts properly and parents didn't get crippled arms and legs (which is what normally happens).

Tom was very well behaved and as a reward Matt got him a new truck for his layout (he couldn't help himself!).  We then headed into Kendal and had lunch at Pumpkin Bistro (run by our old neighbours in Lupton) where Tom tucked into a huge plate of sausage, beans and chips.

We then did a little shopping before heading to SpecSavers where Matt and I had appointments.  I have known for a while that I need glasses - my eyesight has deteriorated quite a bit (especially in the morning when I find it hard to focus).  I took Tom into the appointment with me (armed with Matt's ipad which has lots of games on it).  He was an absolute gem - hardly knew he was there at all.

I was in there for quite a while while she tried to fathom me out.  I am short sighted and long sighted.  Have very very different sight in both my eyes.  One eye has a substantially weaker muscle than the other which is why it keeps going out of focus all the time.  Luckily my eyes did keep losing focus whilst I was there so she could see my problem.  She seemed a little perplexed and talked about prisms, but said she wasn't going to give them to me because then it is a slippery slope.  Not sure what she meant by that and stupidly didn't ask.  Anyhow, the upshot was that I now have glasses.  She said that I won't notice much of a difference but my bad eye will be made
to work harder.

Babyccino
I then had to go through the business of finding a pair of glasses that suit me - not an easy task as I don't like wearing them and don't like to be 'noticed' and feel like I'm standing out when I wear them.  Oh hum, something I have to get over I guess.  It didn't help that the sales assistant tried to sell me a blingy pair with bright pink flowers and gold and didn't understand when I told her no chance!  Anyhow, it was buy one get one free - so I now have a pair of sunglasses too!  Matt is going to be on nagging duty to make sure I wear them as I know what I am like.  I used to 'wear' glasses as a child, but refused - the school didn't make me wear them, I didn't want to wear them so I didn't - although of course I told Mum and Dad that I did!

I met up with Matt and Tom in Costa.  Tom had downed a Hot Chocolate Babyccino in one and Matt was drinking a hot apple.  I gave it a go and liked it, so ordered one for myself.  Matt was shocked and stunned that I was being seen drinking a hot drink in public and put it all over Facebook!

Came home and then Eli came round.  Yes, at last I have found another 'foreign' family in the area (ie one with no grandparents / Aunts / Uncles nearby) meaning they have no-one to babysit for them.  In fact they have only been out once since Adam (4) was born.  I suggested a baby sitting swap and they said they were up for it.  By the time Eli came round Tom was already in bed and asleep, so she didn't have to do anything, just put her feet up and enjoy some me time.  We went to The Sun Inn in Kirkby Lonsdale and had a wonderful 3 course dinner.  Didn't get home until after 11pm (go us!).

PENDOLINO!
On Sunday the weather was still dreadful, so we headed to Settle and had a day on the Settle to Carlisle railway.  Being a Sunday, our usual cafe was closed so we looked for something else.  We found a Pizza Express, went inside but were told there wasn't room (even though it was empty) so we left in a huff.  Good job, because on the other side of the road we noticed a place called 'Eaten by Monsters' - we had to have a look.  It was an American diner type of place with lots of pulled pork, ribs etc.  We had to go in mainly because the name was so good.  We weren't disappointed.  It was a very funky place, good music, good service and interesting food and presentation.  We felt 'cool' for the first time in a while.  Once we had finished lunch the rain had ended, so we did a loop of Carlisle before heading back to the station for a little bit of train-spotting and our train home.

We got home, and then I headed out to Eli's to babysit Adam.  He was still up and very excited to see me.  He was also an absolute angel, went to bed really well, did everything I asked, lay still in bed when I read him a story (something Tom is incapable of) and then happily went to sleep.  Couldn't ask for more, so I had a lovely relaxing evening.  This was much easier than babysitting Mae and Lucy.

Anyway, considering it was a revolting weekend weather wise, we did well, and boy - we ate very very well.

No comments: