Search This Blog

Tuesday 3 October 2017

Big Family Fun Day and Camp Out

Friday night kids
Finally it came, against the wishes of the PTA who were mostly against it (for no more reason other than it was something new?!) we ran the first ever Big Family Fun Day and Camp Out at Meadow Falls.  To say it was stressful on the lead up would be an understatement.  I had been fighting the PTA with it for 3 years, this time they couldn't say no as it was off the school grounds.  At the meeting prior to it, the 'old PTA' pretty much all put up their hands and said they wouldn't help - oh joy - whatever happened to pulling together for the sake of the kids?!

Despite the fighting, Liz and I ploughed on.  We were let down by various people with things and spent the week prior to it on the phone doing lots of smart talking to convince people to lend us bits and pieces FOC or at very reduced rates.  We got there!

Friday dawned sunny so Matt and I headed over and put up our tent (it was a bit misshapen - oops!).  Friday evening 3 other families joined us.  The kids (all boys) played football until it was too dark and then we went in the family room for a picture quiz and take away (adults and Tom on curry and all other kids on pizza!)  Saturday dawned beautiful.  We had been praying all week for decent weather (i.e. not raining) as it had rained a lot in recent days.  We were very very lucky.  It clouded over but it didn't rain.

Flo and Evie with marshmallows
Of course, to add to stress levels, Tom had football and I had a wedding cake to deliver - oh joy.  So, once we were awake, we headed back to the house, had breakfast.  Matt and Tom went to football whilst I went back to the campsite and helped set up: we had managed to get hold of 2 marquees and three gazebos in case of inclement weather, once they were up we had to haul tables over and work out how it would all go together.  Then I had to rush back to the house as a lady was dropping by to pick up a cake and then I went to Barbon to deliver the wedding cake (when I got there, they said they weren't expecting me?!  I mean really????!!!!).

A bucket of children
I got back, just as the campers were arriving and was put on the door to direct them to their pitches and handout wrist bands to day guests etc.  I was removed from the event for the first couple of hours as a result, but when I gave up on anyone else arriving, I headed into the site and was very pleasantly surprised, people were having a good time and there was a really good vibe going on.  I was pretty stressed, so took a while to relax, especially as I was disappointed about the lack of day guests, but once I had a drink or two (we had a bar on site) I relaxed and enjoyed it.

Jo rocking the glow stick glasses look
So, we had a Bouncy Castle, Fire Engine and Crew from the local station, Cave Rescue Land Rover, Jill from Run, Bike Fun did a free hour's session for kids on bikes, we had sports: Football pitch and cricket pitch, we had scouts doing den building and a crafting area.  We also had face painting.  Then a band who did a set at 3.30 and again at 7pm. A BBQ was going from 1pm till 8pm as was the bar.  We also had a raffle of family experiences and a huge hamper full of goodies to win.  The whole thing was organised by just me and Liz and then Dave helped in the last week.  The kids had a brilliant time, a lot of playing in a huge safe place whilst the parents relaxed.  What could be better?  Our vision worked, yes it was very middle class but what is wrong with that - they have the most disposable income!  Anyway, we received lots of positive feedback and demands to organise the event again for next year, so we were quite chuffed with ourselves.  

Hatrick doing their thing - they were ace
Of course the chair of the PTA still had reason to lay in to me on Monday morning (even though she got her daughter in to the event free of charge - no thanks, no nothing, just a list of things I did wrong, which were ridiculous!), she caught me unawares, I didn't have the fight in me and came home and had a cry!  There is only so much petty nonsense you can put up with. 

I soon cheered up when we added up the total - we raised £1,236.80 which was more than either the Xmas or Summer Fairs last year - which had the help of all the teachers and where parents had to donate stuff.  If that isn't proof that the event was a success, then I don't know what is?!  We met up with the Holmans after school and went down the pub to celebrate a job well done!  Very pleased it went well, very pleased it was over.

No comments: