Search This Blog

Tuesday 14 November 2017

Lily Pad Open House

Friday was my annual Open House for Lily Pad Bakery at Christmas.  It is always A LOT of work to get this together, frantically making fudge, gingerbread houses, chocolate goodies so I have tasters available and also desperately trying to think up new ideas to keep people interested.  It isn't easy and sometimes I do wonder why I bother, but something from within drives me along and makes me do it.

Tea Cosies & rudolphs
Friday morning I was up at 6am to set up.  Something happens when setting up - time flies - that's what happens!  In a blink of an eye it was 9am and I was open (and only just ready)  how does it take sooooo long to set up?  No-one arrived.  I began to panic, Matt was back from the school run, no-one turned up!  Oh my word, was all this work for nothing?  Eventually there was a knock on the door and people turned up - phew!

Gingerbread area
Last year the after school rush was mad - I think 16 people turned up, this time it was more like 8, but it meant I got to speak to all of them.  The orders weren't that great though.  In fact, non of my previous big spenders turned up this year which was disappointing.  However, there was a steady flow, I think I had about 4x10 minute periods where I was alone and that was it, whilst last year I had bigger periods with no visitors.  It was almost as if everyone knew when everyone else was visiting and they formed an orderly queue.  I had some new visitors - including our neighbours across the road (they are normally in Australia this time of year), some new contacts I've made at school and some friends of friends.  I made 3 big cakes: Coconut Cake, Sticky Toffee Pudding Cake and Lemon Cake.  Most of it went, so I judged that just right (although I was giving out big slices)  I took £79.30 for Cancer Research.
Fudge area

I was a little disheartened though as so many people didn't make it, however, at 5pm Mrs Colledge turned up.  She was in a spending mood and went mad.  She bought tea cosies and plenty of sweet treats.  In fact she is now my biggest spender ever.  As she said I made Christmas easy for her - loads bought without moving from the village.  At the same time Luca's mum turned up.  She was in a spending mood as well and with Mrs College ordering left right and centre, she did too.  Phew, in the end the event was worth it but only through my last two orders. 

Chocolate area
So next year - yes I should do it, but I need to encourage more people to come.  I put posters up all over the village this year and they didn't bring in one customer.  Maybe put an advert in the local newsletter?  Flyers up and down Back Gate, in Meadow Close, Manor Close?  Problem is that people are reticent to come and walk in to a house they don't know.  I don't know how to get round that?  I advertised until I was blue in the face on Social Media, but if you don't follow me or like my page you still wouldn't know.

Cakes for Cancer Research
Hum, also next year I need to re-open on the Saturday morning everything is out anyway so it is no bother and it gives full-time workers the opportunity to come as well as those who want to come without their children.  We will see.

Anyway I took over £500 of orders on the day and expect more to come through via a price list I will create and send out next week.  Need to push the fudge, I hardly sold any and the fridge is full of the stuff.  Gingerbread people were the most popular, dread to think how many I will be making this year...

No comments: