Search This Blog

Wednesday 1 September 2021

Paddle boarding is fun

So today we had booked to do an instructed stand up paddle boarding session in a local outdoors centre.  Seems to be all the rage at the moment, when I asked Tom if he would like to do either that or kayaking - he was delighted and said that he really wanted to do stand up paddle boarding - so I phoned through and managed to get us booked for today.

It dawned a beautiful morning, clear blue skies.  We were up quite early for us to be ready for the start of the session at 10am (was a 40 minute drive away at Loch Ken)  We (of course) got there too early, but as it was so sunny we enjoyed bathing in the sunshine by the lock until they were ready for us.  First job was to get a full wetsuit on, not the easiest thing to do, especially as they were still wet from previous use.   No one could zip mine up, I had to get an instructor to help me (of course they don't make wet suits for womanly figures so it took a bit of squeezing!

We then took the paddle boards to the loch and were given a demonstration on how to mount them - kneeling to start with when in the shallows.  I just about managed - but was in full wobble mode - as expected. Tom and Matt (especially Tom) were straight on no bother!


We had about 15 mins of getting used to that, when the instructor took us out deeper and showed us how to stand up.  Tom was straight up no problem at all, Matt managed it first time...I, of course had trouble.  The first two times I tried it, I went into severe wobble mode and had to kneel down again very quickly to save myself.  I was doing better than the other middle aged lady on the course - she fell in first time!  I did eventually manage to get to standing - but knew that if I moved either foot I would be straight in so stayed planted exactly where I was.  I stayed up for about 20 minutes and then tried to change direction - bad mistake - I went straight in!  Tom was delighted!  I was worried about being able to get back on board the paddle once I fell in, I wasn't able to do it myself and the instructor had to come over and help.  I decided to stay sat down for a while, was much easier and safer!

We played a couple of games and went for a mini tour of the loch, but mainly we were just paddling around, enjoying the calm of the loch.

Tom on the other hand fell in once, got back on the board no problem and then of course he was in countless times as it was more fun to 'fall' in than stay stood on it!  He was the wettest of the group and had a cheeky grin on his face for the whole session (3 hours).  It was definitely his sort of thing.  There was another kid about the same age as Tom in the group too, once he had fallen in once, he decided it was more fun to 'fall' in too, they egged each other on and I think spent more time in the water than on the board.  They were showing off, doing 'walk the plank', front flips, spins etc etc as they 'fell' off.  

I in the mean time tried to stand up again.  I got up but knew one foot was in the wrong place.  I tried to move it, and woosh, I fell in again!  This time the instructor was quite a way off, but Tom came to my rescue and helped me back on it again. I managed to stand up again, feet in the right place and for the rest of the session (about 30 mins) I stayed stood on it - I was very pleased with myself, as I was still wobbling a bit!  I even managed to kneel down from standing at the end when I got off it, so was very pleased.

Matt finally fell in at the end of the session when the instructor showed him some tricks to attempt.  Jumping up and down and then 90 degrees - the 90 degrees got him.  Another one was to walk back on the board, 4 tiny steps and he was in.  I knew my limits so didn't even try to attempt it.  Tom of course could do it all!

Tom and the other lad had to be dragged out of the loch in the end, he certainly had a good time as did Matt and I, maybe something we do in the lake district in the future, but I would want a full wetsuit as the water wasn't half as cold when you are wearing one.  I would happily have gone for a swim in it.

No comments: