Search This Blog

Monday 3 January 2022

Deacon Blue

So on 30th November, I finally got to see Deacon Blue live.  I think I first got into them when I was around 15/16, I can remember my best friend at the time, Anita was into Bros and gave me jip about being into 'alternative' music.  I can certainly remember playing their album on my turntable in my bedroom in Wokingham and also sending Mum with money to Bristol (when we were in Backwell) to get their new albums.  Certainly I spent a LOT of time learning the lyrics to their tunes (which became evident during the gig as they all came flooding back!)

Living in Bristol in my late teens meant that I never got the chance to see the big bands of the time as there were no suitable venues - the best we got was Tanita Tickeram at what was then called the Colston Hall.  Then at uni, once again I didn't have a chance and by the time I had come out of uni, they had stopped recording!  

Fast forward over 20 years, Matt takes me to see Muse in Manchester, which reignited my interest in live music so then I started looking at bands that I like.  I found that Deacon Blue were touring, they were going to Manchester and the ticket prices were very reasonable.  Excellent - I bought 2 tickets there and then as there weren't many left.  Matt saw them when he was at uni and didn't think much of them, I didn't want to go with someone who wasn't that interested so asked amongst my friends - bingo, Janine was a fan and had seen them and thought they were great.  She was up for it.

Then - bang!  Covid hit and it was postponed for a year.  Suddenly it was November again, with my chocolate business going mad I was mega busy and could really do without another trip to Manchester, and I was worried about Covid and Christmas and my business - so I got every order finished before we went just in case.  Then Janine and I got the train into Manchester.  We decided it was a night to enjoy ourselves and forget about Covid.  I great idea.  We booked into our hotel, and then got a taxi up to the venue, we were surrounded by an audience which on the whole looked (slightly) older than us - I was finally with my tribe!  We decided on cider for the evening, found our seats and took in the atmosphere.  

It was a wonderful night - everything was funny - we giggled like school girls for most of the time.  We danced, we sang our heart out, there may have been tears.  I was transported back to being a teenager, I relived so much in my life - marrying the songs to events.  I knew the words to more songs that I realised.  In short I had the best night.  I didn't want it to end.  They did all the big hits, some new material, some lesser known stuff, high energy stuff, chilled stuff, I loved every second.  I think it was better for the fact I had waited a good 30+ years for this night.  Both of us were exhausted after it though - we then looked up how old Ricky and Lorraine are: 63 &57 - wowzers, they are looking, moving and singing so well - we were both humbled!

We came out thinking we both had Covid - there were 1000s in the venue and everyone was singing at the top of their voices, but it was worth it.  I still well up now when people ask how it was and I start talking about it!  I think having lockdown delay it by a year and everything that went with it - made the evening even better.


  

  

No comments: