Search This Blog

Saturday 13 August 2022

Covid & Cricket

So we went to Tom's concert on the hottest day of the year - lots of people crammed into the school hall - waving fans about trying to keep cool.  The next day I didn't feel quite right and had a sore throat, hummmm, did a Covid test - instantly positive!  Oh no!  Looked up the regulations, officially you can be out and about spreading it, but they advise 5 days isolation for adults and 3 days isolation for children.

I wasn't feeling right at all - hot and cold, tired and started to cough, so took myself up to the spare bedroom to hang out with my computer and phone.  I had 2 cakes on this week that I hadn't finished, one was a fruit cake which had been baked and the other a sponge cake which I had to make from scratch.  I cancelled the sponge cake (first time I have ever had to cancel anything), and asked the family the fruit cake was for if they still wanted it knowing that I have Covid - they did.  Luckily they didn't want it decorated, just iced.  I also told any friends that I had been hanging out with, two of which were about to go on holiday (luckily no-one outside of the family that we know of contracted it - phew!)

Lunch at Yard and Coop

I then spent the rest of the week doing computer admin, as that was all I could face.  I wasn't really really ill, just incredibly lethargic with no motivation to do anything.  Tom and Matt were fine. Tom carried on going to school and Matt carried on with work.  On the Saturday, they decided to go to Liverpool for the day on the train - so that I could move about the house and have some quiet time.  I got a call from Matt once they got there, he wasn't feeling too good - nooooooo!  Luckily he had his mask with him (as a precaution) so put it on and they got the first available train back.  Matt tested on his return and was negative, but the next day he got a feint line (as did I), Tom was still negative.  Then we ran out of tests and had to buy some more - harder than you would think - the government I don't think want you to be testing, they want everyone to get it and get immunity that way.

Tom and I were supposed to be travelling down to Crapstone to see Mum and Dad, but Tom was a ticking time bomb on the Covid front - I couldn't take him there knowing that he might develop it and also I was still very very tired.  After 5 days I was still feeling quite ill - I didn't venture out until day 8 when I was feeling a little more normal.  Matt in the meantime was feeling quite ill - he was very tired too.  So he was in the main bedroom, I was in the front bedroom and Tom was left to hang out in his bedroom by himself, not the best start to the summer holidays!  

On Wednesday Tom played a game of cricket - did really well.  He had to retire after scoring 25 runs and he got a wicket.  We tested him before he went to play, he was clear,  on 

Thursday, he was due to go to the cinema with Rebecca to watch the Railway Children, so we tested him again - a big bright red line - a hatrick!!!! 

The good thing was that we were able to all come together again and hang out with each other.  Tom wasn't ill with it - just a snotty nose and a bit of a cough for 2 days.  We wouldn't have caught it if it wasn't for the fact Matt and I had Covid, and would have put it down to hay fever!  

Although it was a pain, actually in the long run it was good, it means we can go on holiday and not worry about getting it as we are full of anti-bodies now and therefore shouldn't catch it for a while, which is a good thought.  

Luckily we were all feeling well again when Tom was booked in for cricket summer school at Giggleswick School - this was something that I saw on my FB feed, being run by a Sri Lankan professional, Ash Silva.  It was a bit pricy at £170 for 4 days, but Tom was keen and he hasn't had the same amount of training this year as normal as the Ingleton coach is overstretched.  I was a little nervous taking him there as private schools intimidate me - most of the kids that turned up were in Giggleswick PE uniforms.  However, Tom is pretty good at fitting in.  He made friends with the other non Giggleswick children (one from Settle College, a couple from Clitheroe, and some others).  In short he loved it!  7 hours of glorious cricket every day, including sessions in the weights room (something he has never done before) he learnt lots, the coach gave him loads of help with his batting, which he said improved significantly. At the end they handed out certificates for the best batter, best fielder, best bowler, best at weights, and best performance.  Tom got awarded Best Performance which was brilliant, so glad he got noticed.  The coach said that he could get a scholarship to Giggleswick for 6th Form on the back of his cricket skills - so that is something to think about for the future.

Matt and I spent the time catching up on all the work we hadn't done whilst we had Covid.  So, I was tempering loads of chocolate and Matt was translating, ready to start the holidays proper.

Oh, I had a phone conversation with my Dr about cholesterol levels, which was all positive.  Basically I need to get down to 10 ½ stone (another half stone to go) and try to keep around that level and I should be fine.  I do have familial cholesterol, so my genes are working against me and it is impossible to get my levels down to 'normal' but I am doing all the right things and if I can keep my weight around this level I should be ok.  No tablets, and no need to retest for another 5 years at the earliest.  That's the best outcome I could have.  Obviously it is holidays now and we are going to the land of cheese and chocolate, so I will stall on the weight loss thing until September and then make a last push on it to get to that weight.

No comments: