Search This Blog

Saturday 2 June 2012

Playing with Hiromi

Playing football with Hiromi
No poo in nappy this morning, but then again no poo all day!

Today Matt left for his conference at silly o'clock.  Tom and I had arranged to meet up with Hiromi in Kobe so we did just that.  Got our regular 9.51 Shinkansen to Shin Kobe and met Hiromi at the ticket barriers.  We had prepared Tom as much as we could showing him photos of Hiromi and explaining who she is.  It worked, he gave her a running hug in the station.

Where's the ball?





However, after that his behaviour was pretty rubbish.  He absolutely refused to walk anywhere, which meant that I ended up picking him up and carrying him.  If I wasn't with Hiromi I would have made a scene, but I find it very difficult to do that to him in public, meaning that he then realises he can get away with it and plays up more, but how do you make a scene in front of a friend who has generously given up a day to spend with you - especially someone as lovely as Hiromi, who makes such an effort.

We got the bus down to the Daimaru department store (where Tom went to the baby restaurant last time we were here) so that I could look around the food hall.  This is basically like looking round Harrods or Selfridges - but better and with more class!  The presentation of the food is outstanding, it all looked delicious especially the cakes.  Nice to see people so proud of their products.  I could spend all day gawping at it.  However, I had a wriggly toddler who was still refusing to walk with me which didn't make things easy.

Being silly
Hiromi then took us for lunch - at the restaurant where Kyoko (her daughter) works.  However, she wasn't working there today.  Hiromi made a great effort translating the menu for me.  I ordered what I thought was the most likely thing that Tom would eat (pitta bread with egg, potato salad and salad).  Unfortunately he played up again.  This time I took him to the toilet and spoke sternly to him.  It didn't work.  I then got quite cross with him - he was fidgeting, not listening to me, saying he didn't like anything, being a right pain.  Eventually I yanked him back into his seat - he didn't like it and howled - it was as if I had cut him or struck him!  Took ages to calm him down (I felt as if the whole restaurant was glaring at me), in the mean time I got upset as well - I felt so bad.  Tom was behaving really badly and I was unable to control him and I am his mother!  All together it was a little stressful.  Eventually he calmed down but I didn't force anything else on him.  He happily ate my pudding though - a milk pudding with strawberry sauce - at least he had something in his stomach!

And again!
We then headed down to Merikan Park right next door to Kobe Port Tower.  It was a really buzzing place, lots of stalls - mainly flea market type stalls, but some food, arts and crafts and a stage where various groups put on performances etc.  Hiromi paid for Tom to do some fishing which he enjoyed.  We then got the football out and played football - suddenly his feet came to life and he was able to run - funny that.  He got Hiromi playing as well.  It was pretty hot and humid so it was thirsty work.  After about 30 mins I managed to persuade him to go down to the water's edge to watch boats - which he did quite happily even though initially he thought it a poor idea.  We then played with the football for another half hour before deciding enough was enough.  Suddenly he lost the use of his legs again so I put him on my shoulders for the walk back.  Hiromi suggested we have an ice cream to help cool down, but we didn't see any and ended up in Starbucks for a frappucino instead.  I've never had one of these (obviously because I don't like anything to do with tea or coffee) but they did a mango one.  It was good - in the description it mentioned tea but I couldn't taste any - Tom and I both enjoyed it.  Oh and during this time, Tom called Hiromi 'a lady' which she really enjoyed.  He seemed very worried that he was going to be parted from her - a very good sign that he likes her and why wouldn't he?

Hiromi got in touch with Kyoko whilst at Starbucks, who decided to come and meet up with us.  This she did and Tom had a good 30 minutes of being really silly shy with her - he cuddled into me and wouldn't look at her at all.  A mention of a train seemed to cheer him up so we headed for the station.  Hiromi and Kyoko were going to a pottery exhibition in Nishi Akashi, so we all went on the train there, during this time, Kyoko and Tom bonded (phew!)  Then I headed off to the Shinkansen after saying goodbyes and thank you.  Tom really wasn't very well behaved at all, but Hiromi was lovely, and after saying her English was really bad, it really wasn't at all - it is certainly much better than Tom's!  Despite Tom's bad behaviour we did have a good time.

We got off the shinkansen at Himeji, I did some shopping for dinner, then hopped on the next one (perfect timing one was on the platform waiting for me when I got there) then back home, quick dinner (we didn't get home until after 6pm) for Tom, which he hoovered up (very hungry I think) bath and bed.  I then made myself dinner of mushrooms, mushrooms and mushrooms, sat down, had a beer and relaxed.

I wasn't particularly well today - my stomach has been hurting big time, Tom also said this morning that his tummy was hurting, which may have been the cause of his bad behaviour - although as stated he was able to run after a football fine.  We are going to have a quieter day tomorrow, let's hope that sorts him out.



No comments: