Search This Blog

Sunday 16 September 2012

School shock

Friday Tom and I went for a look around Kirkby Lonsdale Pre-school which is part of the primary school.  I was expected a half hour look around the pre-school room and a chat with the teacher.

How wrong I was!  I arrived and was greeted with "Oh, Mrs Young, we are expecting you" and then got introduced to Mrs Oldroyd (who I worked out about 10 minutes later was the head teacher).  She took me to pre-school, we had a look around and then we left Tom in the pre-school room whilst she showed me round the whole school.  I so wasn't expecting this - I was only looking to put Tom here for one session a week until we move to our new house where-ever that may be.  I certainly wasn't going with a view to sending him to school there next year.  As a result my brain went completely blank with questions I should ask and I ended up a nervous wreck (I didn't have a particularly good time at school and as a result all the old insecurities returned and I ended up with a stomach and a headache!)  Oh hum, I'm sure I will get better.  Anyway, schools have changed since I was last in one (mainly due to the bank of computers in each room) and lessons seem more practical than academic.  The head mistress was quite scary though and I found it really strange being introduced to all the teachers as Ms Hitchinson, Ms Robson etc etc - they were mostly around my age and I have many friends who are teachers all of whom allow me to call them by their first name!

Tom enjoyed himself in pre-school, although he wouldn't join in at storytime (nothing new there) and the pre-school teacher was really lovely - a lovely cuddly grannie type of person - Tom would love her.  We finally left the school 2 hours later - my brain completely fuddled.

It wasn't a nice day so we went into Kendal for the afternoon - lunch at the Booth's restaurant - very good quality and fantastic service and then a quick look round the shops and purchase of blue plasters, eye bandage etc for my Lily Pad first aid kit and then home.

No comments: