Search This Blog

Wednesday 26 September 2012

Long Weekend and I CAN CYCLE!

So this weekend was what we call the Shell Weekend when a whole load of people get together for a weekend away.  We are sort of hangers on as friends of Lisa and Cameron.  Most of them work for Shell (hence our name for it) but it started off as a 40th birthday party for one of the guys so the friends really revolve around him including both sets of parents etc.  They are all good friends and see quite a bit of each other, we are the only ones that only see most of the group once a year (apart of course from Lisa and Cameron)  There are plenty of children around - Tom is the only 3 year old, but there is a 5 year old and a 2 year old, however saying that Tom was more interested hanging around Maggie who is 8, Daniel who is 12 and Michaela who is 15!

Anyway, back to the beginning, Matt decided that he was going to take Friday off, so we decided to make a day of it and go the scenic way to the gathering point (near Glossop).  We went cross country, it did take quite a while - the roads were slow and every traffic light we encountered seemed to turn red as we approached it, although it was interesting going through towns we haven't been to before.  As it got near to lunch time we decided to find somewhere for lunch.  We followed signs to a country park (Hollingworth) and thankfully it had a cafe, so we went inside.  First thing we noted - it was really really cold - much colder than I've experienced for a while.  The cafe was situated in a visitor centre which had lots of activities to keep Tom occupied whilst lunch was being made.

After lunch we decided that as it wasn't pouring with rain and as there was some flat paved paths that we should take the opportunity to try Tom out on his bike again - it had been a good 3 weeks since we last tried.  First of all, he allowed us to push him from the back - hurray and then he decided to pedal.  We couldn't believe our eyes, he basically did it by himself, we didn't need to say or do anything (maybe 3 weeks of sleeps thinking about it was what he needed)  Matt and I were really excited - I was jumping up and down on the spot!  We were both so proud. First he did about 5 meters, then 10 meters, then 15 meters including a bend - he was getting better and better.  We then decided to find the country park's lake and take the bike there for more practise - Tom just did better and better.  It was a good day.

To see a video of his exploits have a look here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wl0Fq2gAzk&sns=em

Our house for the weekend
We then carried on towards Glossop, got caught in some awful traffic but made it there around 3.30 so in plenty of time to run around and play cricket, football etc and do some exploring.  The house was very grand - almost a Stately Home, plenty of scope for hide and seek.  We had a small bedroom with stairs leading up to another twin bedroom, so for once we weren't all in the same bedroom which was nice.

Our traditional first meal of the weekend was curry - made by one of the couples.  As usual it was amazing - a choice of 4 curries with every accompaniment you can think of.  I over ate, in fact I majorly over ate.  So much so that I hardly slept at all that night (ended up in the other bed in Tom's bedroom in an attempt to get more comfortable.)

Breakfast was a bacon sarnie and then we split into two groups - one to do a long walk around Kinder Scout and the other to Speedwell Cavern.  Today was not a great day.  Not only was I short on sleep, but I had a feeling of doom about pretty much everything and my fears were pretty much realised on all counts.  Matt did the walk and Tom and I went to the cavern.  I did explain to everyone that I really had no idea where I was going, but was told to punch Castleton into the sat nav and it would be easy to find.  In fact I was made to go first on the road.  The first thing my sat nav did was try to send me down a dead end - meaning I had no faith in it at all.  Unfortunately I couldn't use my instinct as I didn't have any.  As I was going down a main road following the road signs to Castleton I saw all the others turn off and go another way - FANTASTIC!!!!!  I didn't have any phone numbers for them and neither did Irene my passenger.  In the end it took us about 45 minutes to get there, all the others were waiting a good half hour for us and thought we had got lost.  Matt even got a call from one of the people in the party wondering where we were.

I got tickets to the cavern and waited for the next tour.  First thing we had to do was climb down 106 steps to the cavern.  Tom gave up after about 20 steps so I carried him down.  At the bottom of the cavern we were to get a boat which would take us along an underground stream to the big cave.  Tom decided to have a mega tantrum - shouting no, NO, NO, NO, NO WANT TO GO IN THE BOAT - screaming, crying, turning red with rage.  It was awful and really really embarrassing in front of all these people I don't know very well.  I was so embarrassed that I started to cry as well.  I was all for climbing back up the steps but Irene took hold of Tom and told me to get in the boat.  I did.  Tom was still screaming.  Luckily Nona (one of the group) had a tube of fruit pastilles, so I stuffed as many as I could into Tom, this worked - he couldn't cry if he was chewing.  After a while he did calm down, but I didn't hear any of the commentary and was unable to relax or enjoy it.  The big cave at the end of the stream wasn't that much to look at (we've been spoilt in other caves I think).  Tom was OK getting the boat back, he was happy to clamber in and even enjoyed some of the commentary on the way back "silly man walking with feet in air".  

It was almost 2pm by the time we got out of the cavern, so we all headed into Castleton to find a pub for lunch.  Had a really good sandwich (goats' cheese, parma ham and mango chutney) and Tom ate a huge plate of fish, chips and peas.  Tom and I then walked back to the car - he had another mega tantrum - he wouldn't walk, he shouted no, NO, NO, NO, NO, sat down in protest, spat at me, screamed, cried, you name it he did it.  I ended up literally dragging him all the way to the car.  Not what you would call a fun day. We drove back to the house and Tom was sent to his room in disgrace.
View from Kinder Scout

Matt arrived with the other walkers looking very tired, a 7 mile walk turned into a 10 mile walk and was very hard going.  We exchanged stories and felt sorry for each other!  We had a BBQ for dinner and then went to bed pretty early - one physically drained and one emotionally drained.

Sunday morning we had bacon sandwiches again and then lazed around for a while - Tom playing with the other children.  In fact he was enjoying himself so much that in the morning whilst Matt and I were still in bed we told him to go and find the others to play with and he did and didn't come back - very unusual but also very very lovely.  Tom also decided that Fred (comedy French man) was the best person to play with (he was probably right) and attached himself to him - much hilarity ensued.

Eventually around 11am we decided that we should start on our way home - we decided to go the faster way - ie on the motorway.  We stopped off at Chorley to go to Booth's (apparently voted the best Supermarket in the World) - was OK, but nothing so special we were both a little confused, plus it didn't have a cafe, so we had to go to the Wetherspoon's next door instead.  Oh well, we then drove to Morecambe and got the bike out again.  This time Tom looked a pro - he cycled well over 2 miles - just kept going.  Matt and I had to run behind him - something I don't enjoy - think we will need to get the bike carrier out again so that I can cycle with him.

We got home exhausted but happy and collapsed in bed.



No comments: