Search This Blog

Thursday 4 October 2012

Back to the old days...

This weekend I was away again - hasn't ever happened since Tom was born and then twice in one month.  This time it was for our 20 year reunion for University, how on earth did that happen?  I was a little worried about going - not knowing who was going to be there, if any one had changed, if we would have anything in common to talk about etc etc.  However, curiosity got the better of me and I decided to go.

We gave Tom plenty of warning about what was going to happen at the weekend - he even told nursery that he was having a boys weekend with Daddy, including a cycle ride and lunch in a pub so I thought all would be ok.  Nope!  About 2.30 on Saturday morning he cried, I went in and he was sick on me.  Oh joy!  Could it be coincidence that the two times I've left Tom he's been sick the day before or is it really bad timing?

So, at 10.30 I left for Wigan on the train feeling a little guilty.  Debbie was waiting for me - she was giving me a lift to Derby (takes a ridiculous amount of time to get there from here by train)  We were staying at Lisa's for the weekend (Debbie's old housemate) - she never really left Derby and has now settled down just outside Derby with her family, when we arrived Lou was already there.  The old 3-some reunited without any family - was the first time in many many years.  We got ready (usual worry about what to wear - just like being at University again!)  and then headed into town.  Luckily Lisa knew where the pub we were meeting was as I couldn't remember it, in fact I could hardly remember where any of the pubs were.

We walked in and found the guys - Mark, Jason, James, Gary, Mel and Clive of all people, we all said that we didn't expect to see Clive as he had disappeared off the face of the earth quite a while ago.  (Turns out that Mark had to phone his mum to find out where he was)  It was a bit of a shock and quite scary to see everyone there, but with a drink in hand I relaxed and got chatting, first was Jason who I had seen the most recently - in Rotoroa in New Zealand only 11 years ago!  Had a good chat and then continued on.  Turns out that everyone was the same, hardly anyone had changed, a couple had 'filled out' a little (probably a description you could use for me as well) but everyone was the same old person they were 17 years ago.

We ended up having a good time, did a mini pub crawl (lots of places had closed down so not all the old haunts (recession hasn't been good to Derby unfortunately)).  Everyone was having to pace themselves (cheeky diet cokes were being drunk by most in between beers) and food was consumed to help mop up the alcohol, but we all did well including 2 shots of sambucca each (as horrible now as it was then).  Nearly everyone has children and all had interesting stories to tell about work, romance, travel etc.  It really wasn't long enough to properly catch up I didn't even get to speak to some people. I don't think I was able to relate to anyone what I've been up to in the last 17 years.  Everyone was surprised to hear I was living in Cumbria though AND that I was a mum - I wasn't the mum type at all at Uni - to be fair sometimes I'm still surprised myself that I'm a mum.

We did do a mass photo session, but I didn't take any as my phone doesn't have a flash.  I have asked for some pics to be sent to me - I'll put them up here when or if they ever come.

We left Derby around midnight (the guys went on to a club somewhere I think) and to bed around 1am - I had to share a double with Lou (last time I did that I was violently ill in The Gambia).  I couldn't sleep as I started to think about all the things I have done since I left Derby - the jobs: Encounter, Guardian, Compass etc, all the travelling I've done: India, Nepal x 3, Australia, NZ etc etc etc, and everything else: meeting Matt, getting married, having Tom etc.  I've certainly packed it in in the last 17 years, and I think I have changed, but Saturday night was as if none of that had happened and we were our 21 year old selves on a usual night out at Uni. It was very strange, I couldn't get my head round it, so I forfeited the one night I was guaranteed a good sleep - oh well.

Sunday we had breakfast and said our goodbyes.  Lou disappeared off first and then Debbie, Adam, Luke and I went back to Wigan.  I got dropped off at Primark and did a huge shop for Tom (he's growing out of all of his clothes again!) had lunch and got the train back to Oxenholme where Tom and Matt were waiting for me.

The boys didn't have a particularly good weekend - Tom wasn't at his best - having an upset stomach - but they muddled through and were pleased to see me as I was them.

No comments: