Search This Blog

Tuesday 8 January 2013

First day at school

Ready for School
So today, we had another milestone, Tom had his first day in his new school.  I've had 3 hours free nursery education a week that I haven't been using for Tom since we got here, mainly because I haven't been busy with work and thought it mean to send him somewhere else when really there was no reason for him not to be at home with me - and anyway most days I enjoy his company.

However, with the move to Ingleton imminent, I thought it wise to enrol him in the pre-school there (attached to the Primary School) so he (and I) get some friends and get to know more people in the village.  So as of today he is a school boy in school uniform albeit only for 3 hours a week.  He looks so grown up doesn't he?

By all accounts he had a good day there.  I thought I was going to have trouble leaving him as he was clingy - I tried to get him involved in some activities but he was insistent on holding my hand whilst doing them.  Mrs Jefferies, the TA saw this and managed to draw him away from me with the promise of some trains, I then ran.  I felt a bit mean leaving him there by himself, however, he told me that he likes the teachers and he knows Fred from Smile, plus he's had two trial sessions so it's not as if it is completely alien. (Probably a case of me over worrying from all my first days as a new girl!)

Deciding it's a waste of time to go home and then come back I thought I would head into Settle as it is market day there.  However, it was also very grey and rainy so I didn't really enjoy it.  In fact I ended up speaking to Mum on the phone for an hour and then Rachel for half an hour.

I went to pick him up at 12.00.  I was put in the new girl position as all the mums were waiting outside and chatting away to each other whilst I hung around with a stupid grin on my face trying to look friendly.  I will always hate that feeling!  Anyway Tom came racing out and said he had a good day.  Mrs Colledge said he was fine all day and even sat still for storytime.  Tom said goodbye to Mrs Colledge by trying to kiss her - she managed to swerve to avoid it and gave him a friendly pat on the cheek instead!  Now that's one to embarrass him with later!!!!!!! (He's never done that at nursery!)

So a good day.  I haven't really got much out of him about what they did - one minute he said he played with 2 girls all day, then he said he played with Fred all day.  He definitely played with trains and cars and the story was The Three Bears.  Lunch apparently was Japanese sauce and potato - hummmm.  He finished off by saying he is now ready to go again when he is 4!  Well he'll nearly be four when he next goes...

No comments: