Search This Blog

Sunday 20 October 2013

Better Week

This weekend we split up.  I had a 40th birthday to go to down in Warminster and Matt had his friends Michael and Sarah coming up to keep him and Tom company.  So I disappeared off at 9.30 on my 6.5hr odyssey on 4 trains down to Warminster.  I had been slightly dreading this as I have found it hard to sit down with this arm of mine.  However, it was still getting better and I was able to do lots of exercises on the train on the way down.  It was lovely actually to sit back, have responsibility for no-one and nothing and just be me.  I put on my headphones and listened to my music whilst watching the countryside speed past.  It was blissful, except for the niggling pain in my neck.

Believe it or not, all the trains were on time, and I was met by the whole Milburn family.  We slid into our usual banter almost straight away (Lou is one of those friends who I don't see very often, but when I do, it is as if it was only a day or so ago we last met).   I even found myself rolling my 'r's, although that was more to give them a laugh than natural.

Lou and Laura
Anyhow, I spent a pleasant hour catching up with them all.  Laura and Jacob of course have grown quite a bit since I last saw them.  They really are very nice children.  Laura had changed the most - she has really grown in confidence and was very lovely - showed me to my room, and happily spoke to me about anything and everything.

We had a quick shower and then put on our party wear (dress for Lou, jeans for me!) and headed down to the local cricket club to decorate it before everyone arrived.  I was slightly dreading the party as I didn't know anyone (Debbie didn't want to drive down on her own and wasn't willing to go by train!).  However, it was fine.  I, of course knew Lou's rather large family and Tim's immediate family - both of whom came straight over for a chat.  Then others on hearing who I was chatted away to me.  In fact Lou was introducing me as the guest of honour:  "This is my friend Nik, I went to college with her and she's come all the way from the Lake District!"  I didn't put her right - it was a good ice breaker.  Bless her - I think she was pleased I had made the effort.

I got straight onto the cider - hoping it would work as an anaesthetic for my arm.  Not so, so I decided to go easy on the drinking to get a good night's sleep.  I did, however, do some dancing which I think helped loosen the arm even further.   We didn't get back to Lou's until after 1am (wow!).  We wound down a bit and then headed to bed.  I got into bed and then noticed a text from Matt - Tom was awake and crying for me!  Oh dear - I sent through some suggestions on what to do via text and then tried to get to sleep.  It didn't go well - so much for a night off!

Had a lovely lie-in / chat with Lou, then breakfast, made a packed lunch and headed to Warminster Station for the trip home.  Once again all trains were on time, I had some lovely me time and I arrived in Lancaster to a very warm welcome from both boys.  Tom was very excited - he had bought me some presents - I was instructed to close my eyes and put my hands out.  Last time I did that I ended up engaged!!!!  A packet of Herdy gingerbread biscuits was thrust into my hands.  How lovely.  It was gorgeous to see Tom so excited to see me.

We headed back to Ingleton, had dinner at The Masons Arms / Old Brewery Inn and got home around 8pm.  Tom went straight to bed.  We weren't too far behind him.

No comments: