Search This Blog

Thursday 2 July 2015

Summer Fair

Saturday it dawned sunny.  A good thing because it was the school Summer Fair.  The first one in many years (I'm beginning to have an affect on the PTA I think).  Tom, Matt and I headed off to the school for 10am to set up.  We had to drag every table out of the school onto the playground to make a cafe, then help sort the food out, set up the stalls etc etc.

I had been baking loads: gingerbread biscuits for the cake stall & for the raffle, chocolate cherry cake and scones.  As always it was difficult to know what to do as there is no paperwork anywhere from previous fairs, so we started from zero.

I somehow managed to get put in charge of the PTA stall which started off as 'Hook a Duck', then became 'Net a Duck' and finally 'Grab a Duck' - because every time you put the net into the paddling pool all the ducks overturned revealing their numbers - not great.

I was then stood in the sun for the whole fair doing the stall which proved quite popular, in fact it brought in the most of all the activity stalls which means I must have been doing something right.   Mainly it was toddlers drawn to the water.

Matt was playing cricket in Heysham today so he headed off early and then Tom was left to his own devices whilst I set up and manned the stall.  He was brilliant.  He entertained himself really really well, hanging out with the other PTA children and then when his friends started appearing playing with them.  He came to check on me from time to time and ran errands for me (drinks and food), he decided which stalls he wanted to have a go on, found out how much money he needed and sorted himself out.  All very good.  I was very proud of him, he displayed a lot of confidence.

After the fair we, of course, had to put everything back, so we didn't leave until 4pm.  Basically Tom was outside playing for 6 solid hours.  Once we got back, he collapsed on the sofa and asked to watch telly - I didn't refuse, I was tired too!

Anyway a good but tiring day in the sun.  We made £840 which apparently is good going for the thrifty folk of Ingleton

(Sorry I didn't have time to take any photos!)

No comments: