Search This Blog

Tuesday 9 January 2018

Panto!

This weekend we had a weekend in Leeds with the Holmans.  Seems we do everything with the Holmans, when it comes to Christmas.  I think it is due to the fact we are both new to the village with no family nearby.  Everyone else here seems to do things with their families on the run up to Christmas, so we hang out together instead - it works well, we all get on and have fun together.

Fun in the snow globe
We all headed to Leeds by train but had to go on different trains as Matt had a Christmas Translators lunch so had to be there early.   Tom and I did some last minute Christmas shopping before meeting up with the Holmans for lunch:  we had posh street food in a food court place, it was really good: I had naan bread with lamb and all the trimmings all rolled up.  I think I chose too many trimmings as juice then ran down my arm and on to my jumper and skirt and all over me as I ate it.  Guess what, we were travelling light, so I didn't have a change of clothes and smelt faintly of curry for the rest of the weekend!  There's always one isn't there?!
The men

We checked into the hotel and then headed to the Christmas markets.  I was expecting a big market - as in Manchester so was quite surprised to find it was very small.  It had everything though: beer, gluwein, donuts, pretzels, sausages, pork snitzels and stalls selling all kinds of nick naks.  There was also a huge snow globe which the kids went in.

With the princesses
Matt caught up with us after his lunch and we split up: the Holmans to do some Christmas shopping and Matt to drop his stuff off at the hotel.  We met up for a pre-panto drink.  Dave and the lead at the panto, Jez, went to school together, so they keep in touch and now Dave lives 'locally' he makes it a thing to support him by going to the panto. He was a really nice guy.  He had to run off to get ready for it so we had another drink and then went to the theatre, it was a small venue, but with a good atmosphere and we had a great time booing, shouting, laughing etc.  I do like a good panto.  It was Jack and the Beanstalk and was great fun.  I didn't know any of the 'famous' people but I never do these days!  We got a shout out which was great and of course there was a lot of Yorkshire vs Lancashire throughout it.  (I guess I'm an adoptive Yorkshire lady now).

We got to go back stage afterwards to meet the cast - a first for us, what a treat.   Afterwards we headed back to the Christmas markets (just outside) for tea: pork sandwich and gluwein for me - very yummy it was too before heading to the hotel and its bar for a quick drink before bed.
Donuts!!!!

Our favourite Leeds restaurant
Sunday we had breakfast before a spot of shopping and lunch at Bundobust before heading home.  A good fun weekend and all organised by someone else which was great.


No comments: