Search This Blog

Wednesday 19 January 2011

The Weather in Devon is rubbish!

My word, have I got behind with this blog, there just don't seem to enough hours in the day at the moment to get everything done. Oh hum.

Anyway, Tom and I disappeared off to Devon on Wednesday - we didn't see Mum and Dad over Christmas and thought they would like a visit, also, Matt was away for the weekend, so I could do with the company.

I picked up Tom from nursery, from the Toddler room again as he was trialling with them. He apparently was quite happy there, but didn't eat much of his savoury dinner, but was happy to woof down his pudding.

The plan was for him to sleep for a good chunk of the journey down and then stop for a break and a run around before heading further south. He decided he knew best and slept for only 20 minutes! He did keep himself amused though until we got to Exeter, so can't really complain. We got out for a run around there and then back in the car. Tom wasn't too happy to be back in his car seat, but I discovered that if I sang to him he was ok, so I spent an hour, yes AN HOUR singing nursery rhymes to him, oh joy, at least he was the only one to hear me! Anyway we made good time.

Almost forgot, Tom discovered that he could open the car door on the way down. We were on the motorway when suddenly all the interior car lights came on and I could hear wind noise, took me a while to realise that his car door was open. Had to stop on the hard shoulder, put the child lock on and close the door - it had never occurred to me that he would be capable of doing that!

Tom had a good play and sat with us for dinner (although he didn't eat much - due to over indulgence with snacks in the car I think) and then went to bed without a bath. I followed him shortly afterwards. I took all our alarms off to see if we could lie in. We could! I woke up with a start at 8.30 and found Tom in his cot, awake and happy playing with his toys - what a love. In fact we lay in most days, it was luxury, definitely going to turn the alarms off at the weekends now, as even if he didn't get up till late, he still went to bed at the usual time and only woke up in the middle of the night once in the time we were away.

Thursday dawned grey, rainy and miserable so Mum and Dad suggested we went down to the old Military base (not sure what it is called) where there is a nice coffee shop with baby toys. It was a lovely place, such a shame the weather was so bad as there were lots of boats to see nearby, but it was driving rain so we hurried back to the car. Will go back to explore another time.

Friday was another drab, rainy, windy day so we headed off to Endsleigh Garden Centre - huge massive place for Tom to have a run around - somehow managed to buy a whole load of cakey things.

Saturday - guess what it was grey, rainy and windy, so we headed off to The Range for another retail experience (yup, I got some more cakey stuff) and then to Mountbatten for a pub lunch - where Tom ate his lunch and half mine (I got a sausage sandwich, thinking he might want some, not realising he would want most of it!)

Sunday - oh yes, another grey miserable day. I had developed a cold in the time I was down and Mum and Dad were beginning to look like they were beginning to suffer, so I took Tom off to a soft play area in Plymouth to give them a break. He had a good time, there was an area with Little Tykes cars which the kids can move around with their feet (Flintstone style). Tom loved them, but just sitting in them, not moving them, typical!

We came home on Monday, Tom slept for 20 minutes again, hated being in Cribbs Causeway for a break and then I had to sing to him for 30 minutes on the second leg. He was absolutely shattered when we got back, he couldn't eat and cried, so we put him straight to bed.

Tuesday and Wednesday he carried on trialling the toddler room at nursery, he goes there full time next week.

No comments: