Search This Blog

Thursday 4 June 2015

Flying visit to London

On Saturday it was Vera's birthday party.  Luckily she had arranged it in Kew, just round the corner from Pat and Bob, so we were able to visit grand-parents as well as they put us up for the night (The last train home on Saturday was 4pm?!)  Thank you Pat and Bob.

The topper
As is usual at a weekend, they had messed around with the trains meaning we had to change at Preston.  I had made the journey down a little difficult for us as I had promised Vera a cake for her birthday.  I knew we wouldn't be able to take a 'proper' cake as they are so heavy and carrying it on numerous trains and the underground would be a nightmare, so instead I got Julie to make the cake and I made the topper.  It was very fragile of course.  On the train down we were sat opposite a very curious 2 year old, so I had to shield it from him.  Then when we got to Euston we found out that there was a big game on at Twickenham and the station was full of supporters trying to get underground tickets.  Tom and I had to squeeze through to get to the ticket barriers.  Tom ducked beneath people's legs and I squeezed through carrying the topper above my head!

The underground was pretty empty, but then of course the train to Mortlake was very busy.  We managed to get a seat each, but had to keep the cake away from hungry rugby fans and I had to use my best booming voice to get people to open the door when we got to Mortlake and let us off (once again with the cake topper above my head!)  We got to Pat and Bob's on time and with the topper intact - phew!

Topper on Julie's cake
It was then a quick turn around at their house to dump what we didn't need and and repack ready for the party.  Pat then drove us to the pub which really wasn't very far away at all.  I got there 10 minutes after it started and was pretty surprised to find Vera there, must be one of the first times she has turned up somewhere on time!  Mind you her brother and his family were about 2.5 hours late!  I had forgotten that of course I know most of Vera's family and quite a few of her friends, so there were plenty of people for me to talk to.  It had been a good 10 years since I had seen any of them so of course children were looking quite different, and people were looking a little older. I was hoping that Tom would play with Tal and Aaron (Jule's children) but it didn't happen - I guess they didn't need to make friends having all their family around them.  Tom was extremely good though and just got on with enjoying himself.

Vera with her topper
He amused himself whilst I attached my topper to Julie's cake and then I went round with him introducing him to various people who remembered me.  Once Vera's brother arrived, there were speeches which were good, then we were served food - all of Vera's favourites: salmon, chicken wings, sausages, potato salad etc etc.  We both ate big plates full as we were starving and then a magician arrived to entertain us.  He was amazing - he had the children hooked.  Tom very happily sat on someone's lap so he could get nearer, and to my surprise he hardly wriggled?!  He even got a chance to take part in a trick where red foam balls multiplied in his hand.

The cake came next and had the desired effect.  I had made a miniature Vera sat up in bed (she's always late remember!) hair all bedraggled, on the phone (Vera is always on the phone!), with her doggie and cat by her side, cards scattered all over the place (she plays bridge), a basket of veggies from her allotment, a song sheet from her Rock Choir and passport & ipad at the ready, oh and a laptop with a money graph showing a steep decline.  All in pink her favourite colour.  She was over the moon and it became quite the talking point.  Phew - my work was done.  Tell you what curly hair is really difficult to make!

Julie with Aaron and Tal
Before we knew it it was past 5pm and the pub were clearing up and resetting for another party in the evening so we said our goodbyes to the thinning crowd and called for our lift back to Pat and Bob's - thanks Pat.  About 5 minutes after arriving, Bob walked through the door - he had been to a lunch in Oxford.  We all watched the FA Cup and then Tom went to bed.  I don't think I was far behind.

Sunday was a pretty uneventful day - it wasn't a very nice day.  We hung around at Pat and Bob's for the morning - Tom taking great delight in abusing his grandfather all morning and then we headed to Euston for our train.  All went well, and it was much easier without a topper to transport.  Matt picked us up in Lancaster and we headed straight home.  Tom fell asleep on the way home so I guess we probably over did it this week - oops!  Back to school tomorrow!

No comments: