Search This Blog

Saturday 6 February 2016

Spokeswoman

So Monday was the Parish Council meeting, we went along to make our objections in person.  It was a strange experience.  We (or rather Matt) were told that not everyone could talk so a spokesperson was needed.  I decided to do it as I have done so much research on it and had made a crib sheet of the main objections.  How I was supposed to voice all the objections of the other people in the meeting who I had only just met I don't know so I opened it up to everyone else when I had finished - I guess I did an OK job as no-one had any other points to make.  The council agreed with all I had to say and said that they would make their objections known to the District Council as long as I forwarded all my info to them.  That is the best outcome I could expect.

As I left, people came up to say well done and afterwards, Matt got an e-mail from a school Governor who was there saying I did good.

The meeting was very much the reserve of retired men.  There was one woman who didn't say anything, and one guy our age, but everyone else was of retirement age.  When we walked into the meeting the Chair spoke to Matt about arranging a spokesperson and a number of people who turned up to object told Matt what a good letter he had written.  Matt had to explain that it was me who had done it.  Sexism isn't dead here!

The meeting was badly run by the Chair, who seemed unable to wind up any discussion or steer people towards action points. No wonder nothing ever gets done here.  Apparently the Parish Council have been given £110,000 by the District Council to spruce up the village.  No-one knew what was happening or how much of the money had been spent, this coming from people on the steering team?  I don't quite understand how that can happen.  Anyway for sure the needs of young people and middle aged people aren't met by the council.

Anyway we have a week left to gather more evidence and make our objections known to the District Council...

No comments: