Search This Blog

Tuesday 17 May 2016

Ghibli & Cricket

So last week was a sort of normal week - as normal as it can be when you aren't working and are resting on your bed for a good 2 hours or so a day.

In fact I can't actually remember day by day what I did, so I guess normal life has pretty much resumed.  I have spent a lot of my days walking.  So much so that by Friday I felt like I was ready for the waterfalls walk, and did it without any trouble (all exercise is much easier when you have lost a lot of weight).  I managed it in 2 hours which is half an hour longer than usual, I was happy with that.  I am back on cooking duty, laundry duty, back to going out for lunch at the weekend and out for tea on a Friday - I just eat less.  That's pretty much my normal life, except the absence of cakes - they will come after half term.  Can't say I'm looking forward to making them again - but hopefully once I start my cake mojo will come back.

Week 5 - still a bit red...
So how is recovery going?  Well I feel more or less normal except sometimes my scar hurts (when I have done too much walking and it has been jigging up and down a little too much!).  My left leg pulls when I walk, but I just ignore that, and there is an area to the left of my scar which hurts to touch - has been like that since week 2 and doesn't seem to be getting any better (hence why I am wearing leggings and tunics at the moment and not jeans - any zips, buttons, waist bands etc increase the pain from this area.  My toilet activities are should we say interesting!  I constantly feel like I need a wee regardless of whether I have just done one or not and the other activity is still an all body event and quite disturbing.  Apart from that all is well.  I am eating more and it doesn't seem to hurt at all now when I eat, although I do seem to fill up quickly and when I get the I'm full sensation, I don't want to eat anymore (unlike before my op, when I could happily eat through it).  I'm able to eat more than just soup for lunch as well which is good - I was beginning to get bored with it.  My weight seems to have stabilised - Matt isn't happy with it - he says that I don't hug well anymore, but I am happy with it and hope to stay like this for at least the summer, would be nice to have one summer wearing dresses etc without feeling like a beached hippo!

We had a relatively normal weekend.  We started it in traditional style by having a drink at The Old Post Office and then we decamped to the new Indian restaurant in the village, which was surprisingly good.  Very friendly service and good food.  We bumped into Mrs Colledge, and Grandma Jan whilst there (and just missed Janine!).  I had had 2 glasses of wine at the OPO so was very happy and pretty tipsy.

Totoro
Saturday we had an easy morning.  We then drove to Carnforth to get the train into Lancaster, ready to see Totoro at The Duke's.  First stop was The Novel Cafe for lunch - a bagel for me, a panini for Matt and a huge jacket potato with beans for Tom.  We then headed for the cinema where Tom got changed into his Totoro onesie and we met with Sal, Rich, Caitlin and Lottie to watch it.  This was the first time any of us had seen it on the big screen and it was lovely - I think we saw some new scenes as well which was good.

Tom and Caitlin
Afterwards we all headed to The Borough - a pub we didn't know existed for tea.  It was good, Matt had a great looking piece of pork belly, Tom honey roast ham and I had a veggie tagine.  It was a good afternoon - all the kids got on well, Caitlin had just had a second set of grommets fitted on the Friday (new ones that stay in for 3 years) so did remarkably well, especially as we saw her ears - they were full of blood - eek!.  We got home around 7pm.  Tom actually fell asleep in the car on the way home which is quite unusual these days.   Matt and I then settled down to prosseco, cheese and crisps whilst watching Eurovision which was appallingly bad this year!  Oh hum, at least the cheese was good!  Oh, obviously my scar was enjoying Eurovision as the knot that has sat at the bottom of it fell off during it.

Sunday, Tom played cricket on the community field in the morning - he got his new cricket shirt today and looks very very smart in it.  We then went to the New Bernies for lunch and were very surprised to find cheap, quality food on offer, it is basically a greasy spoon, but a good quality one.  Problem is that it has very very bad kerb appeal and the inside is very bare, lots of empty cupboards etc.  Most people walking by, would walk on by as it looks so dishevelled, but they are missing a treat, I hope the owners realise this and tart it up, as they could be missing out big time.  They just need to decide on a theme / market to attract and go for it - lets hope they do and they don't go bust!

Enjoying the sun
The afternoon saw us in Westhouse for Evie, Lauren and Freya's birthday party.  It was a dance birthday party, the lady who did it was brilliant and got the children involved immediately - all were up for it and joined in.  It was obvious we were surplus to requirements so we decided to go for a cheeky drink in the pub garden at The Bridge so we could enjoy the sunshine.  Very nice it was too - I'm very much enjoying spending quality time with my hubby at the moment - he's certainly the love of my life.

We got back to the party to find Tom being attended to by all the mums - with an ice lolly on his knee.  He had been climbing a wall and a top stone fell on his knee.  There were a lot of tears but no blood, so I don't think it could have been that bad.  However, the party spell had been broken, he didn't want to join in anymore and was more interested in feeling sorry for himself.  Oh hum.  he came home, had a hot bath and went to bed very tired.

No comments: