Search This Blog

Sunday 26 June 2016

Blood, Fair & Steam

This Friday was Tom's last assembly.  This time they did one about Roald Dahl.  Tom played a 3 year old Roald who was more interested in sport than school.  It was very funny, they used facial expressions and repeating jokes all the way through to give us a laugh.  There was a song, which as usual Tom didn't know, but apart from that he did well - I always love a school assembly - they are like little nuggets of gold.

I had to leg it from school as I had an appointment to give blood.  I was very surprised to find out that I was ok to do so.  I think a 'Save a life, Give Blood' ad popped up on my Facebook feed, and I thought, hummmm, I wonder if I am eligible, so went on their website to find out.  I ended up filling out a contact form to find out, describing what I'ld been through and had been diagnosed with.  I then completely forgot about it until Tuesday when I got a letter from them saying they had been in contact with my Dr and they had decided I could now give blood.  I was surprised, but also know that they are desperate at the moment and are always looking for my blood group (very common in Black and Asian communities - who apparently are also less likely to donate).  On getting the letter I looked up to see when the next session was in Ingleton and found out it was Friday!  I phoned and booked myself in.  I, of course, had to go through interrogation with the nurse - the same nurse who refused to let me donate last time and really annoyed me.  This time, he was very attentive, I got a grilling, but because I had the letter from the blood service saying I was fit, he allowed me through.  I had my iron levels tested - they are fine (another sign I am recovered - the nurse was surprised even with the amount of time passed between op and donation) so I gave blood.  The nurse kept coming to see me to check I was ok and then sat down with me whilst I ate my biscuits.  He said he was surprised someone would give blood so soon after a major op, but very pleased too.  I felt absolutely fine, in fact more fine than I normally feel after giving blood.

Tom plus traction engine
We decided to go to The Old Post Office for a drink to mark the beginning of the weekend.  I didn't drink as I thought that might be one step too far directly after giving blood, so for the first time had soft drinks there.  We then decided to stop there for tea and had a platter each.  Very enjoyable as always.  Just as we were finishing up I got flashing lights before my eyes - oops, I was about to faint, so I rushed out, sat on the pavement and put my head between my legs.  Slowly the feeling cleared.  I guess I ate too soon after the donation.  I had a little lie down after getting home and then was fine again - I was very glad though that I hadn't had my usual gin and tonic!

Saturday was a busy day as it was the day of the School Fair.  We got to school at 10am ready to drag out all the tables and chairs and sort out the BBQ, as was the case last year, we only just got it all ready for opening at 12.  Now this year, the turn out was pretty poor, when we opened at 12, very few people arrived, but as the afternoon wore on, more and more people arrived.  We were all pretty gloomy about the outcome, but to our surprise we made almost £1,000 which was more than last year.  In fact my stall - the 'pluck a duck' stall took £63, it only took £35 last year!  So I guess the people that turned up were all prepared to spend good money which is good.  Need to do more next year to attract people though - maybe have entertainment of some sort which won't cost too much.  Tom entertained himself for the whole day, mainly playing football.  We didn't leave until 4pm, got home and collapsed, exhausted.  We went to see Matt play cricket for a while (except he was already out), then had tea and did not much for the rest of the day.
Lawnmower racing


Sunday was Father's Day, so Tom came into our bedroom bearing gifts, hugs and kisses for his lovely Daddy.  We then decided to head to Scorton Steam Fair for the day.  Matt hasn't been before, but for Tom and I it was our 3rd visit.  It's got everything for boys: trucks, army vehicles, traction engines, food, lawn mower racing (Matt's favourite), tractors, motorbikes, fair ground and a big arena for shows.  We all enjoyed ourselves, my favourite was the motorbike display team who were doing somersaults in the air etc with their bikes, in fact I thought their show was too short!  There were more places to eat than in the past - with pulled pork and other gourmet delights appearing along side the bacon butties etc.  Matt even found a chocolate rum truffle which reminded him of his Grandma and made him happy.  Cake stalls were selling cakes at ridiculously cheap prices, not sure how any of them made a profit, but we indulged and were happy.
Motocross display

We left at 2pm as the weather was looking decidedly dodgy.  We did well as about 5 minutes later the heavens opened and it rained for the rest of the day.  We got home (Tom fell asleep in the car - he is still full of hay fever) and had showers etc, put on our glad rags and headed to Settle where we met with Pat and Bob to have tea out at The Falcon.  This is a 'posh' hotel in Settle which we thought we would try out.  We were disappointed, the environment was very posh, the waiters dressed nicely, but the service very very very slow, the food only just ok and a bit over priced.  There are plenty of other good eateries in the town, so I don't think we will be returning in a hurry.

No comments: