Search This Blog

Wednesday 15 June 2016

Millie

So Tom went back to school on Monday - boo hoo, we were having such a good time.  I got Lily Pad Bakery up and running again and had a cake this week, so worked on that.  I also had a 1:1 pilates session with a friend who is a teacher which I passed successfully - I am allowed to join classes.  She said I was a lot more mobile and flexible than she thought I would be and thought I was a pilates natural - wow!  Not often anyone has said I am good at anything athletic!  She has inspired me and I have downloaded a couch potato to 5km app on my phone to see if I can get myself running - wonders will never cease!  I also got to Settle this week to visit the craft shop to buy some wool.  I have finally got myself a knitting book for tea cosies.  I didn't understand a word of it, so took it to the shop and asked for help.  She deciphered it and I came away with 4 balls of wool and some needles, raring to go.  The lady said that knitting is like riding a bike - you don't forget how to do it - she was right, I got going very quickly, although had to do quite a bit of unpicking when I went wrong.  You Tube, I have found is a fantastic resource, so as soon as the book asks me to do something I don't know I type it in and find a video showing me how to do it.  I am now a pro when it comes to 'kfb' etc which was double dutch only a week ago!  I have made my first tea cosy and am working on my second already.  Just need to find some buttons to finish the first one off and I'll put a photo up.  Matt keeps saying that I've been replaced by an imposter - everyone knows I hate running and he was not aware I had ever knitted!  I guess I'm just trying new things...

The finish
Friday - we had some friends turn up: Michael, Sarah and 2.5 year old Millie from London (Michael is one of Matt's friends from Japan).  Michael was diagnosed with a rare Lymphoma a year or so ago, this is the first time since diagnosis he's been well enough to travel up.  Strange because we used to think how terrible it would be to be in his shoes.  Of course, now we know and even though I ended up with a benign condition, I can put myself in his shoes, and as a result we had some good frank conversations about our experiences - good therapy for both of us.

To date I hadn't met Millie, Matt had on a trip to London and was completely charmed by her.  He was right too, as she was utterly charming.  A bundle of curly ginger hair, chatting away, happily singing, playing, chatting, eating, chatting, more eating and then sleeping perfectly.  Who could ask more of a 2.5 year old?!  She was shy for about 30 seconds and then made herself firmly at home.  Tom came home from school with Matthew and she accepted them immediately - in fact she charmed herself into their affections very well, when Matthew left she was very sad.

Michael, Millie and Sarah
We had a fractured evening as Tom was taking place in a triathlon at 7pm.  So he and Millie had their tea early, Millie went to bed, whilst Tom went down to the swimming pool to get his instructions.  

He was in the 7-10 year old group (my he looked very small in his group - not sure a 7 year old competing with a 10 year old is exactly fair?!)  His swimming went a bit down hill - he had to do 100m which he can normally do easily, but because he was in a crowd I think he slowed down and got engulfed. His cycling was better - 1km, but his running was outstanding (400m), he was going so fast I thought he was going to fall over - he completely astounded me - not sure where he got his stamina or speed from?  Anyway he didn't come last in his group and considering he was the youngest, I think that was really good.  He was really hyped up afterwards, and wants to do another one soon.

We returned home and he had a second tea with the adults - he deserved it.

On the Waterfalls Trail
Saturday we did the waterfalls trail with our visitors.  This was a challenge Michael had set himself - he was determined to do the trail (he wouldn't have been able to do it last year).  Millie being only 2.5 wasn't completely up for it - but she was good and did walk quite a bit of it, although a lot of carrying went on.  The weather was supposed to be horrible - grey and wet, but we were lucky, the weather man had got it wrong, there was sunshine and it was warm.

3 amigos
Our progress wasn't exactly quick, as it was being dictated by a 2.5 year old, but that didn't matter, we enjoyed ourselves.  I think it took 4.5 hours to get round it (I normally take 1.5 hours).  By then it was raining, so we dived into the cafe for tea and a bun before heading home.  You would think that a 2.5 year old would want to nap after all that, but no Millie was not going to sleep at all and just kept going.  She and Tom had an early tea.  Millie went to bed and Tom watched some football before heading upstairs.

Sunday - Tom did his cricket practise, whilst the rest of us went to the park for a play.  Millie loves parks, this one was to her liking so she made herself at home immediately and played to her heart's content.  She is one happy, relaxed, outgoing child.  We then went for lunch at Inglesport.  Matt then took our visitors back to the train station whilst I tidied up.

It was a good weekend.

No comments: