Search This Blog

Sunday 19 February 2017

Flu

Slackliner at Malham Cove
If you were wondering why the blog has been a bit lax recently it is because I have been knocked out with what I think was the flu.  I've never said I've had the flu before, but this was something I've never experienced before and very nasty.  Started with hot and cold flushes and aching bones.  I spent a lot of time in the bath warming up and easing the aches.  I had no appetite until food was put in front of me and then I ate well.  I felt very very lethargic, all I wanted to do was curl up into a ball in bed, but of course, it was Tom's birthday and I had a lot of cakes to get out - typical.  The second week saw me coughing and coughing and coughing, proper horrible coughing where you use up all your energy, but nothing happens, I can see why young children and old adults get pneumonia as a complication.  Anyway, it was truly awful and took me out of circulation for 2 weeks.  Luckily I timed it so I was pretty much better by the time we flew to Tenerife - phew.

Anyway, a precise of what happened in those two weeks:

Fun day with the Mannings
The first Saturday I had a very very easy morning, whilst the boys went to Skipton for football with Caitlin and Rich.  They were gone quite a while and I was pleased to have the opportunity to just collapse and relax with no guilt.

The evening was spent round the Bickerstaffs babysitting Jack and Seth whilst Janine and Craig had a date together (something we had been arranging for months - the fact I wasn't 100% was not going to stop me!)  In the end they weren't very long (think they felt guilty me babysitting whilst ill, but the boys were absolutely fine and it really wasn't a hassle)

Sunday, I decided to stop feeling sorry for myself.  Steph had been in touch and asked if we would like to go for a walk and have tea afterwards.  We jumped at the chance, they are a lovely family and we have always said we would like to see more of them (since this weekend, they have put in an offer for a house in Ingleton, so they will hopefully soon be almost neighbours which is great).  We met at Malham Tarn and did a walk down to the cove.  At the cove, some people had strung up a slack line and were walking across it (well trying too anyway).  We arrived exactly at the right time and spent quite a while watching them - there was a lot of falling off, but they were securely attached and bounced back fine.

Birthday lassi in Gargrave
We walked back up the hill to the Tarn and then went to their house in Stainforth for tea - a lovely rich lamb stew with beans, roast potatoes and veggies - very lovely too.  However, at this point, Tom who had been a bit off colour for the last couple of days, completely flagged, complaining of a sore throat.  Luckily Steph had some capol, so he got dosed up, but he didn't eat much which was a shame.

Anyway, it was a lovely day, with lovely company, and very nice to get out and about after being stuck inside for so long.


The following week was a bit mad.  Tom got worse, he cried on Monday morning when I asked him to open his mouth, so I took him to the Drs, fearing tonsillitis, but it was just a sore throat (phew!)  He had two days off school though which didn't help with a very busy cake week.  Luckily, Pat and Bob were about to come and help out.  They sat with Tom in the lounge and watched videos, whilst I caked in the kitchen.  It was a huge help, as otherwise I would have had to cake in the evening, and by 7pm I was pretty much exhausted, meaning I could collapse which was very much needed.

The birthday kids
Friday of course was a special day - Tom turned 8!  Wow!  A proper, proper age!!!!!  We got up an hour earlier than usual so he could open all his presents (thank you to everyone, he was very spoiled of course!) and then he scooted happily to school for the day.  In the evening we headed to Gargrave for an Indian at Bollywood Cottage (his choice), where we met up with Grannie and Grandpa with yet more presents.  He didn't cover himself in glory, pretty much didn't eat any food and didn't behave particularly well either!  He certainly wasn't himself which was evident in the fact he fell asleep almost immediately on the way home and went straight to bed on our arrival, meaning he didn't speak to anyone on the phone - sorry everyone!

The Yellow Submarine cake
Saturday, Tom didn't go to football, as we were worried he still wasn't 100% and with his party coming up on Sunday, didn't want to over exhaust him.  So we had a quiet morning.  I went up to have a chat with him, as he still wasn't a happy boy.  Turns out that he and Harrison had fallen out at school over something.  He cried and said they weren't speaking and he didn't like it.  I got on the phone to Susan, they were around so we walked down to see them (Harrison is the eldest of 4, so their house is always a little chaotic but full of fun, with Susan and Terry always very very welcoming)  Anyway, Harrison and Tom made up immediately, and were gone playing almost immediately.  The Wards were off to the zoo that day, they had one seat left in their car and offered it to Tom - Tom jumped at the chance, so off he went with the others for a lovely day out!  Matt and I were left to ourselves, so went to the pub for lunch and then I had a delivery to do at Billy Bobs near Skipton - a 2 tier rainbow solar system cake (not at all complicated?!) for a 5 year old!  We delivered it and then went to Keelham for a quick shop before returning home.  Tom had tea at the Wards so we went to The Old Post Office for a quickie before picking him up.  He ended up having a great day, all because he and Harrison fell out!


Sunday was Tom's joint birthday party with Caitlin.  He had asked me for a 1960s disco party so I booked a children's dance entertainer to do a 1960s portion with Tom and a more contemporary half for Caitlin.  Her communication skills weren't the best meaning I went into full panic mode when I couldn't get hold of her, but her party skills were absolutely amazing.   She did some great dances: one for Hey Hey We're the Monkees, one for Twist & Shout and another one, which I can't remember.  She also did party games, and brought proper presents for the children - Tom got a book about The Beatles and a piece of film from The Monkees with full certification etc - we weren't expecting any of that.  She played loads of 1960s music as well, all through lunch.  We did frankfurter hot dogs and crisps and pineapple and cheese on sticks - all of which went (calculation was 1.5 hot dogs per child and I think we had 1 left over which I snaffled down).
Tom and the Hubble telescope - thank you Martin

I did a yellow submarine birthday cake for Tom (lemon - his favourite at the moment) and a chocolate and cherry cake on the side just in case there wasn't enough - it was a full class party so almost 30 children, we came home with very little.  I, as usual didn't do party bags, but got everyone a pair of blue John Lennon specs which they got at lunchtime.  They went down very well, so much so that about 5 children turned up to school wearing them the next day!

Anyway, the kids seemed to enjoy themselves, and Elly the dance person was AMAZING, she had the kids hanging on every word.  I would have gladly paid her twice the rate she asked for, she definitely has oodles of that special something that gets kids attention.

We got home, unloaded and then Tom spent half an hour opening all his new presents.  He got loads of Lego, so he'll be busy for a while and loads and LOADS of money - wow, he has more than us at the moment, although we have encouraged him to put some into the bank.  Thank you to everyone, there are some very generous people out there.

No comments: