Search This Blog

Sunday 19 February 2017

Sunshine and fig trees

Palm trees by the ocean
So, our first full day on Tenerife dawned with blue sky.  Hurray.  We decided to have a quiet morning, so first had a lie in (we have to as breakfast doesn't start until 8am!)  We hit breakfast and were met by a huge array of food.  Tom went for waffles, jam and chocolate doughnut, whilst I went for gorgeous artisan bread with cheese and hard boiled eggs, whilst Matt went for some rather dodgy looking bacon (you should NEVER try to eat bacon outside of the UK) cheese, chorizo and churros with chocolate sauce.  An eclectic mix if you ask me!

As the sun was shining and we had an excited boy who wanted to go swimming, we decided we HAD to hit the pool, so off we went.  We got our towels and reserved some loungers and got in the pool - it was a little on the cold side, but once we got in it was fine.  We even managed to do some sunbathing, in fact Tom took to it really well, lying in the sun reading his books.  Matt was hiding in the shade and still worried about getting sun burn whilst I was constantly searching for the sun as the shade kept enveloping me.  
By the pool

We spent a good 2 hours by the pool (really good for us) and then came back to the room for showers so we could head into the town to find some tapas for lunch.  We didn't have to look far, we ended up in a place called Cafe Berlin for tapas: grilled prawns, croquettes (Tom's fav), spanish omelette and calamari.  All very lovely and washed down with 0% beer (for me) and a huge glass of sangria (Matt - naughty boy!).



Life at the bottom

After a swift siesta at the hotel, we then walked up a very steep hill to the Botanical Gardens.  They were quite interesting, had a huge fig tree which was impressive, some other interesting things that I didn't know the names of, some cacti and other things, including lots of birds of paradise - of which there are plenty at the hotel.  After exploring fully we called it a day and headed back down to the shore, stopping for a 3pm ice cream on the way - very nice it was too.

We then had baths and played top trumps and managed to delay going for dinner until 7.30pm, which was a bonus as when we arrived the dining room was full to bursting, within 15 mins it had cleared out.  We didn't have to queue for anything.  Tom was tired by the time we left, but that works for us too, as then when we go to the room, he heads straight to bed and falls asleep immediately whilst we can do stuff.

Food wasn't quite as good today - no chorizo sausage and the paella wasn't as nice, but still we managed to go up 3 or 4 times for bits and pieces, Tom ate up well as well.

Amazing fig tree
So, Tom hasn't been himself for the last couple of weeks, he doesn't seem the happy-go-lucky boy that he has always been.  Nothing seems to make him happy or excite him, even his birthday didn't get him really happy.  Today we found he had bitten his thumb skin so it was bleeding.  We don't know what is up, we have tried to find out but haven't really got anywhere.  I am very aware that since I went on HRT, my mood hasn't been great - it is almost as if I don't have any emotions at the moment, I don't experience highs or lows, just nothing.  For example for his party, I should have been on a high during it as everyone was enjoying it, and then I should have been relieved once it was all over, but it didn't feel any of it.  I am now worried that my lack of emotion is rubbing off on him.  Once I get my MRI results, I am going to head to the Drs to talk it over and see if maybe there is another HRT I can try that might be better...


No comments: