Search This Blog

Friday 18 August 2017

Day 2: Kuala Lumpur

Shark petting
So we didn't have the best night's sleep.  We all fell asleep fine, then Tom came in at 2.30 to say he couldn't find his nee naw - it wasn't even under the covers, it was on his bed as plain as anything!  This made us cross, and neither me nor Matt could get back off again.  Then Tom got us up again crying: he had turned his air conditioning off and was too hot!  He knows how to turn it back on, but he wasn't thinking.  I ended up getting in bed with him as I had a feeling he was going to keep on disturbing us.  He was asleep in 15 minutes, it took me until 7.30 though.  I woke with a start at 9.30: both Matt and Tom were still fast asleep.  I tried to wake Matt but couldn't.  I waited until 10am and tried again - harder.   I then went to get Tom up - it took quite a bit of patting and chatting to get him to come too, he wasn't happy to be woken,



Short-clawed otter
First thing he wanted to do was have a shower - very strange for him.  Then when we sat down for breakfast he said he thought he was going to be sick and ran to the loo and was.  Nothing much, but concerning all the same.  We were all a little grumpy through weird jet lag sleep which is never that refreshing.  We decided to have an easy day in the hope it would sort all of us out.  We didn't leave the apartment until just before 12.  First stop was a sports shop within which Tom had seen a snorkel and mask set which he wanted to buy with his holiday money.  We made him wait a bit just to see if we could find any others and to check that he still wanted it.  He kept going on and on about it so we figured it was a good idea.  When we got there we could only find pink sets.  Arghhhhhh!  I went to the desk to ask if they had any other colours, took a while to get understood, but finally the guy went to the store room to see if he had any other colours and came out with blue sets and yellow sets - bingo.  Tom was very happy and chose yellow.

Making friends
We then went for lunch.  We went to the food court where of course there was a huge variety of food - most of which I didn't recognise or know - makes it more interesting!  There was a western section though so we took Tom there and he ordered spaghetti bolognese - he always reverts to pasta if he can.  They don't seem to do children's portions of anything here, so he had an adults portion and ate what he could, which wasn't all that much (for him anyway!).  Matt had fried rice and I ordered a Rava Masala Dosa.  I didn't mean to order the Rava bit, but I said 'a' Masala Dosa and the guy misheard 'a' as Rava and then I misheard him repeating it to me.  Doesn't matter - it was basically what I expected.  Have just looked up Rava - means semolina, to be honest I didn't notice it - just cost more (of course!) - was nice an spicy without being too spicy.  I was the only non-Indian in the queue though!

Turtle
After lunch we headed to the Aquarium which was just across the park.  It was pretty run of the mill, very clean and not very busy meaning that it was quite relaxing, although our feet did get quite sore and achy with all the slow walking.  The highlight of the area was the tunnel through shark infested waters - which was to be fair very very long.  There were some very cute otters, good looking turtles and fierce moray eels.  Quite a few of the poisonous fish and eels, are native to Malaysia - hummm....

Once finished we found a restaurant in the food court directly outside that served freshly made muffins - they were served warm and were really rather good.  Both Tom and I had the banana and raisin one and Tom even managed half a second one.

Holiday purchase
We were then going to walk back to the apartment.  One problem:  the storm clouds had arrived and it was beginning to rain, and then it rained some more and some more and then it absolutely hammered it down.  We were treated to an amazing tropical storm.  Lightning flashed all around and the thunder hammered and banged amongst all the high rise buildings.  Tom thought at one point that a building had fallen down it was so loud.  It was certainly a sight to behold, I do enjoy a good tropical storm!  It did lessen at one point so we decided go for it and head back to the apartment.  Good job we did, because about 5 mins later, the storm intensified again for another 40 minutes.  It was great viewing, and as Matt said: free!  I stood under the rain at one point, Tom followed suit, but managed to slip over and hurt himself on the tiles - oops - my fault!  Tom really wanted to try out his snorkel and mask in the pool, but no one is allowed in the pool during thunderstorms so he had to settle to just trying it on instead.

Manly drink?
We came back to the apartment, had some down time, a shower each and then headed out for tea.  We decided on Japanese for tea with both me and Matt ordering something and Tom eating from our plates.  He didn't eat much at all.  He did order a smoothie, thinking that it would be healthy for him and tasty for him - but the meaning was lost in translation as when it came it was basically a strawberry milkshake with squirty cream on top - not great when you are recovering from a funny tummy - he did manage some of it though, just as well as neither me nor Matt would go near it!

Nabeyakiudon - yumsk!
As Tom was flagging, Matt brought him back to the apartment whilst I went shopping for breakfast and snacks and beer (found a Japanese supermarket today so quite excited!).  I diligently gave them the one lift card we have so they could get back.  None of us considered at the time, that that might make it difficult for me to get back?!  As I got into the apartment block, I realised I might be in trouble, so I sneaked into a lift with someone else, and ended up going to the 26th floor (we are on the 3rd floor!). Oooops.  I was then stuck on the 26th floor wondering how I would get down again as the lift would not take me to the 3rd floor.  Luckily the lift took me back to the Ground floor where I then had to speak to the security guard to ask him to help me.  First question he asked: what number apartment do you live in - of course I had no idea, so I described where it is and he understood immediately: oh the one with the digital lock?  Yes!  He radioed to someone who then accompanied me in the lift to the 3rd floor.  Matt and Tom were surprised to see me, they were expecting a call!  Oh hum, the life of an apartment dweller...

The Storm

Tom was waiting hopefully as I had promised him a yoghurt and I delivered.  He then did his teeth and went to bed, he was very tired.

No comments: