Search This Blog

Monday 26 October 2020

October

 

The first weekend in October started badly with it being cold and rainy.  During lockdown we started a lego project - remaking all the lego sets that Tom has received over the years.  We were very close to finishing, so we decided to get it all out and finish it off. 
It took the whole day but we got there.  We then got all the lego models out from the various places we have been squirrelling them away to and took some pics.  Didn't look much - but it has taken us hours and hours.  A great way to waste many hours.  Tom is pleased because he prefers making his own fantasy models rather than the kits so he didn't take much time to destroy them and start building his own models again.
The Sunday was a much nicer day and we arranged to meet up with the Raddas again for a walk down at Jenny Brown's Point.  Somewhere we haven't been to before.  It is on Morecambe Bay - and was a lovely walk.  Great views, lovely weather, good company.  We had some coastal walk, forest walk, not much uphill (always good).  We got caught in a freak shower storm, but enjoyed the rainbow it caused.  Anyway another good walk.


So, I thought the blog had stopped working, but it turns out a setting had changed itself.  Matt managed to find it and changed it back, and suddenly everything clicked back in to place.  Phew!  However, the page seems determined to keep changing the setting, so we will see how long we are able to keep going...

Now, of course  I need to catch up on previous weeks, looks like we got up to the end of September, so here is my blog for October:

The second weekend in October we decided to have some proper exercise.  We packed the bikes on the back of the car and drove over to Keld where we cycled the new Swale Trail bike track from Keld to Gunnerside.  We weren't sure what to expect - wowzers it was hard work!  The beginning of the trail was steep, bendy and gravely.  I took my bike for a walk - there was no way I would be able to cycle up it.  The boys, of course were fine, but even Tom was stopping and starting.  I have been putting the idea of an e-bike to the boys if they want me to keep up with them - this was proof that I need one! Eventually we got to a bit where it levelled out a bit and I was able to get on and cycle.  

A video of the ride is here: https://youtu.be/vT1FtblgAsE

It was a beautiful ride, in Swaledale which is one of the most beautiful and unspoilt of the dales.  The river Swale at the bottom of the dale, green fields around, dry stone walls and lots of stone barns.  We had a picnic at the top of a hill taking in the scenery and then carried on to Gunnerside - bombing down a tarmac road at the end which was fun.  At Gunnerside we found a pub with a garden, so we took a table and had a drink each before heading back the same way.  I was proud of myself at the start as it was a steady hill out of Gunnerside to the top of the track and I managed most of it without walking.  We carried on back to our picnic spot, by which time I was spent and we had the worse of the gravelly uphill track to go, so I took my bike for a walk and then free wheeled down the other side.

It was a grand track, apparently the other half of it (Gunnerside to Reeth) is a little easier so we might try that out.  I need to get a bit fitter I think!  (I blame Cornvale and all the lovely meat they deliver to us for making me fatter!)

Last weekend we went for a greasy spoon lunch at Hellifield Station and then a short walk around Hellifield to see the Highland Coos.  It wasn't a particularly long or hard walk, but interesting - we found a rather lovely looking holiday let - saw plenty of highlanders and the odd train.  






No comments: