Search This Blog

Thursday 24 March 2016

Onsen!

So Matt and I managed to stay up until 10pm last night.  I stayed asleep until 5am and Matt managed until after 8am, so I think it is safe to say we are over our jet lag and back to normal.  Today we had decided to go to an onsen.  Matt had done his research and found one within walking distance of our flat, so after a leisurely morning we walked the mile to it.

Once again we found a very empty building - are we the only ones on holiday here?  So, back to the routine - although with 2 years off, I am rusty and for me it is more difficult because I can't read any of the notices.  It always takes courage the first time to walk into a changing room and strip completely naked and then walk around in front of complete strangers trying to 'blend in' when it is obvious that you are very different (can't say my body shape is anything like a Japanese body shape). However, once you realise that no-one is watching, and that it is completely normal then inhibitions go to enable a wonderful relax.

Handsome boy in his jinbei
First stop was the showers to have a good old scrub.  I wasn't sure if you could shave in the shower area, however, there were free disposable razors in the wash area, so I figured it was very much encouraged.  I spent a good 30 mins having the best shower and wash (probably the best since 2 years ago).  I then dried off and put my jinbei on (it was too small - my thunder thighs didn't fit!) to meet with Matt and Tom as we had rented a family bath for an hour.  We went up and spent a lovely hour playing in the bath until we were all red in the face and needing cooling down.

We then went downstairs for lunch.  They had a buffet which was fab, full of all our favourite things, so we helped ourselves and enjoyed it very much.  Tom got glued to the baseball on the telly, but had trouble getting his head around the fact it isn't cricket - we have got some major education to do before we take him to his first game.  We took him down to 'Kid's Land' which was full of slot machines.  We had been given some tokens, so he tried his luck - but they didn't last long!

Japanese family
We then headed back into the bath area for a soak. Tom came with me this time so I had someone to speak to.  Matt wanted to go in on his own to try to have a chat and develop further his spoken language skills.  It was still quite empty, Tom ended up swimming in some of the baths!  We didn't stay in any too long, but it was a very enjoyable experience, very very relaxing.  Surely this can only help my 'condition'.  After half an hour we were bright red all over, so met up with Matt for another down period.

I had ditched my jinbei by now and instead got myself a yukata.  Tom had a very cute boy's jinbei and Matt was in a jinbei too.  We looked 'proper' Japanese in our outfits so got someone to take a photo of us.  Not a bad family photo for us.  We then went upstairs to the relaxation room - basically a huge room full of what look like business class airline seats, which recline to a flat bed.  We all had a go, hmmmmmm, yes I think I would like business class on an airline.  Quite a few were taken up and there was quite a bit of snoring going on.  We, obviously, only got to enjoy them for 10 mins as that was Tom's limit on being quiet!

Curry for tea. £8 dinner for 3!
We then got changed back into our regular clothes and headed back to Hakata Station for a Mr Donut to give us sustenance before heading home.  Matt then did some work, whilst Tom and I worked on his scrapbook.  He did really really well - a complete change to yesterday.  Maybe the onsen relaxed him into wanting to write etc.  We got it up to date including today's activities which was great as I need to have it ready to send into school immediately on our return.

We headed back to Hakata Station for tea as Tom had requested curry.  Well we have been here almost a week and he hadn't had any yet.  We found a restaurant that did a monster portion of curry and sat down to attack it - all 3 of us (although I think Tom secretly wanted to eat the whole lot).

Our rail passes kick in tomorrow, so the train trips are about to begin, got ourselves a trip on a very posh train tomorrow....

No comments: