Search This Blog

Monday 21 March 2016

We are off to Japan - phew!

So we had a week of ups and downs last week and a LOT of wine was drunk!  Most of them were downs, but most significantly the one up we had was that we can still go on holiday.  Basically we took out the travel insurance in September, and because I didn't have any symptoms or see the Drs until January, that means I'm insured.  However, if my condition isn't cured by September this year, they may refuse to renew my insurance (if you have a hysterectomy looming they will not insure you).  Anyway, this means we are still going on holiday - yahoooooooo.  Even the school were pleased for us!

Monday morning I had the girlies round to explain to them what was happening, mainly because I don't want Chinese whispers going around the school and garbled messages getting home which could end up quite bad.  Everyone was understanding, poor Kate burst into tears!  Everyone has offered to help with looking after Tom etc.

We then spoke to the travel insurance people and after a nervous half hour of being put through to the wrong number, conversations where neither person was understanding the other etc etc, we finally got the answer we were looking for and were able to relax and look forward to the holiday for the first time in a while.

Tuesday for me was spent finishing off my last Lily Pad Bakery cake (not sure when the next one will be) and doing paperwork, tidying up, and cancelling any orders I had taken up to June etc.  Also, Mandy, a lady from the PTA came round for a brew.  She had a hysterectomy 3 years ago, and on hearing about me, wanted to have a chat to give me a better chance of knowing what was going to happen to me.  She was brilliant and made me feel much better - especially as she said she couldn't eat / sleep beforehand either.  She said going on holiday directly before hand is the best thing I could do and also that recovery takes way longer than you think (oh joy!).

Wednesday I headed into Lancaster to do some urgent shopping (nighties & slippers for hospital as I don't own any) and have my CT scan.  I was looking forward to my CT scan, hoping it would be like the MRI scan - i.e. a nice lie down for 20mins.  It wasn't.  I turned up and was given a litre of aniseed flavoured liquid which I had to drink slowly for an hour (I hate aniseed).  Then a nurse turned up to put a cannula in my arm, but she couldn't find my vein.  It took her 3 attempts and A LOT of scratching around to get into one, I wasn't too impressed my vein is quite prominent and of course I was left very bruised by it all.  When I went in, it only took about 10 mins.  Everyone leaves the room because it is an x-ray and then a machine says "injecting you now' and then you get this very strong sensation that you are going to wee yourself.  Thankfully Mandy had warned me about this on Tuesday or I would have been quite disturbed by it - you would think they would warn you about it?!

Thursday I spent cleaning the house from head to toe as Mandy warned me that I won't be able to clean for a long time after the operation.  I also changed all the bed sheets, did some dusting etc etc, made up my hospital bag and started packing for Japan.  I emailed my consultant and cancer nurse to let them know we were going to Japan and how to get hold of me if they need me.  He got straight back to confirm what I wanted to know whilst away as he was worried about telling me too much on holiday, so we have confirmed that he will only get in touch with me if the date of my op changes.  He did tell me that The Christie are reviewing my case at a meeting next week which didn't exactly make me happy - means that they haven't initially ruled cancer out!

Friday we finished packing and then went for a walk around Leck in glorious sunshine before packing the car up and heading to school to pick up Tom and head to Japan.  Mrs Colledge let Tom's class out and then came over to give both me and Matt a massive hug each - I guess our holiday is approved this year!  We then drove over to Manchester as we were spending the night with Karen, Adam, Leia and Rosa.  We had a great evening: good food and wine, what's not to like?  I felt like I had left my troubles behind.

No comments: