Search This Blog

Monday 19 January 2009

Bedding - I had no idea it was so complicated

I am 36 weeks tomorrow, which means that I should have 2 x bags packed. One for me and one for the baby. I think I have sorted myself out, but the baby one is harder.

The world of baby bedding is a confusing one. I've been told to get some cellular blankets. So I spent this morning visiting all the usual stores and am now puzzled. They come in so many varieties and sizes. Do I need separate sized ones for the moses basket and cot, or will a cot sized one do for both? Also does a shawl count as a blanket or is it something completely different?

My NHS booklet tells me to include a pram sheet and blanket - what are they? There certainly aren't any items in the shops labelled as such - do they just mean sheets and blankets that will fit in a pram - if so why do I need these for the hospital? Arghh - it's all very confusing!!!!

I came back home with nothing, thinking to purchase everything on ebay instead, maybe get a bundle that includes everything, however, I can't seem to find anything - and the prices on ebay don't seem much cheaper than Mothercare.

My solution - I think I will drag Matt to the shops one day this week - so we can purchase together - then at least it will be both of us in the right / wrong!

6 comments:

John and Carol said...

think that tesco have cellular blankets but will check tomorrow for you. all clare had was the shawl and the blanket that her nan had made if she also had the nhs list what did she take in i presume that the list is for for everyone not just for telford, give her a ring though to clarify. pram sheet and blanket will probably be the same size as the bassinet could sak the midwife this week or the nct people/group.

mum

Simon, Clare and Jake said...

I must take a moment to comment on the grammar in the previous post, not what I would expect from a former school teacher!!!!!

Nik and Matt said...

NHS list is Shropshire specific and I will be asking midwife / NCT for advice. I assume by bassinet you mean moses basket - I've a whole new language to learn!

Simon, Clare and Jake said...

Hi Nik

As your Mum said I only had a shawl and a hand made blanket for Jake and still only have these. I did intend to buy a cellular blanket but never got around to it, they do seem to be recommended by all the books and mags though.

I just used the shawl and/or blanket folded in half when Jake was in a moses basket. This was fine as it was really cold when he was born so he needed several layers anyway.

I've not idea why you'd need a pram sheet or blanket, unless they are meant for those prams which have a carrycot bit.

Hope you are well, not long to go now!

Clare x

(PS - I've never posted anything on a blog in my life, it's very exciting!!!)

Lisa said...

Nik! I have a drawer full of cellular blankets, both cot-bed and pram sized. You are very very welcome to them if you can get hold of them (we'll see you next weekend won't we) as I hardly used them ;) It's all nonsense.

Nik and Matt said...

Thanks Lisa. You're a star. See you next weekend. Matt.