Search This Blog

Friday 20 August 2010

It was an ear infection

So, we finally got to the bottom of Tom's illness. He was more or less back to his happy self on Wednesday which was fantastic. He also slept through on Wednesday night - even more fantastic (I of course couldn't - have lost the knack again!).

Thursday morning, I went in to get him and saw what I thought were blood stains on his cot sheets. Strange, but then I saw a huge lump of ear wax in his ear, so thought it must have been that. After breakfast, he was sat with me on the sofa when I noticed that his ear was full of gunk. I called the Dr who asked me to take him in, he had a look and said there was a lot of discharge, and to be safe he should go on a course of anti-biotics. Basically he has had an ear infection and his ear drum has perforated, relieving all the pressure and pain he has been experiencing. His first course of anti-biotics - poor thing, typical that he now has medicine being well. Strange thing is that he never tugged on his ears. We gave him so much teething gel, he must have wondered why on earth we were giving it to him!

Dr was nice (Dr Hudson), he was the same Dr I spoke to last week, when he originally got ill and had a temperature and poo problems. He told me that it was nice to speak to a sensible mother on the phone. I guess they don't have too many in Donnington - mind you the average mother in Donnington is a teenage with attitude!

Once finished at the Drs we completed some chores and then went to visit Sammie, Jen and Sophie. Sammie has been having a bad time with Jen and Sophie. Jen (3) ill and Sophie (1) not sleeping. Her other half is in the army and in The Falklands, so she doesn't get any support at home which can't be easy. I went loaded with cake and I think we cheered her up a bit.

Tom had a grizzly afternoon, I was a little worried about night time, but needn't have been, he was an angel. I managed some more sleep as well which was good.

Friday morning Tom went to nursery which was very quiet - in fact there were only 3 babies with 2 carers, so he had a wonderful time. I came home to work on cakes. I got seriously behind this week as I had such an unproductive day on Tuesday. I am recreating the In the Night Garden cake and Lily Pad Cupcakes for a 1st birthday present. I have discovered that it is really hard to recreate a cake - found making the In the Night Garden models again very difficult - the models aren't that difficult, it is trying to make them look exactly the same as the previous cake which is difficult. Got there in the end.

Picked up a very happy Tom (he managed to stay awake in the car on the way home), he had a 2 hour nap, whilst I finished off the cakes and did some computer work (I was going to make a profit this month, but have just put in a bulk order of cupcake boxes and cake drums and boxes, so have a feeling it will be a loss again, maybe next month I will go black)

The afternoon saw us in Hoo Farm again for a quick visit. Tom was a little bit lazy, when he doesn't want to walk, he sits down in protest and nothing I can do will convince him to budge. It is a very annoying trait. I don't think it is because he is tired, I think it is because he is lazy. I will see how it goes, might be something I have to work on.

Came home, he refused his dinner (sausage pasta from last night), then bath and bed.

I must say it is SOOOOOOO nice to have our happy Tom back, such a relief and it is good to know what it was that was making him so unhappy.

No comments: