Search This Blog

Monday 19 July 2010

A bad night

Well last night was the worse night we have had with Tom since December! He woke up at 12.22, I have no idea why - he wasn't hot / cold / coughing etc. We tried settling him as usual - no good, he was crying again within 5 minutes. We tried Calpol, no effect, he was crying again in 5 minutes. We tried teething gel, changing his nappy, water, comforting etc etc. But nothing would work. In the end Matt went downstairs and I put Tom in bed with me. It's not as easy as it used to be with Tom being more mobile, however, he didn't try to get off the bed. It took over 2 1/2 hours to get him back to sleep though. He wasn't in pain because he was laughing at one stage (not sure why - I was ignoring him in an attempt to get him to understand that it wasn't playtime but sleep time)

This is what I have been dreading since last December. I have never taken it fore granted that Tom sleeps now, always going to sleep with a little knot in my stomach wondering if tonight is going to be the night when it all goes wrong again. We never got to the bottom of why he woke last night, but I sincerely hope it was a one off. Think it is going to be hard to get to sleep tonight, wondering if he is going to get me up again. You could tell I was out of practise getting up in the middle of the night - I couldn't find the handle to our bedroom door at first and was scrabbling around for quite a while trying to find it!

So, Matt and I are in a bad way today, neither of us being used to an interrupted night's sleep anymore. Tom wasn't exactly a happy chappy this morning. I took him shopping to Tescos (got lots of money off vouchers - in fact I got our shopping bill down from £79 to £51 through vouchers - most of which were free vouchers ie not clubcard ones which was fab). He grizzled through most of it, I think because he was tired. I put him down for his afternoon nap early - we will see how he wakes up...

He woke in an ok mood, so I decided to take him to Telford Town Park so he could expend his energy. He had a happy time. We bumped into Rachel and Mae and so had lots of fun. Tom was on good form and was walking all over the place, sliding down slides, enjoying the roundabout, swinging, toddling and most of all, falling over and picking himself up. He did really well, and he played 'pick the ball up' with his new football after Rachel and Mae had left.

Got home at 5, had dinner, playtime, bath and bed. He went down well, I wonder what tonight will bring...

No comments: