Search This Blog

Sunday 18 July 2010

Goodbye Nan

Friday wasn't a good day. Mum rang at 7.30 to say that Nan had had a stroke and wasn't expected to last long. She had tried to get hold of me last night and earlier this morning, but with no success - of course we were out!

Tom and I popped out to Asda after his morning nap, I came home to find that I had missed yet another call and that she had gone.

Very sad, although it was good that she went quickly and didn't suffer for too long. She had Alzheimer's so in truth we had lost her a while ago, although I still got a flicker of recognition when I went to see her and she certainly enjoyed seeing Tom. I think the maternal instinct is a very deep instinct, she automatically knew how to hold him, and she loved playing with him, told me how gorgeous he was.

Nan was a lovely lady, she didn't have an easy life, lived on her own for too long as my Grandad died early. Even though, she had an infectious laugh, made the best Welsh cakes ever (always made sure she had a new batch if I was coming to visit) in fact she had a very sweet tooth, battenberg cake also featured very regularly and she never ever remembered that I don't drink tea or coffee - being surprised every time I told her! She always spoilt Simon and I when we went to visit - allowing us to stay up way after our bedtime (ignoring everything Mum had told her). A lovely lady with a generous heart. She hated the fact that I would go off travelling on my own, but was very proud of my exploits, always detailing where I had been in her atlas.

We all have lovely memories of her and we will keep them in our hearts.

Spoke to mum who was doing very well, the people at Nan's home were brilliant, looking after her, she had nothing but high praise for her.

We got on with our day, which meant cup cake making in the morning and decorating in the afternoon and then to Rachel M's for sing and sign. We had a really good session, Tom behaved really well and even took part with some of the signs which was brilliant. I then had to rush home as my customer was coming at 4 to pick up the cupcakes (She said that they looked too good to eat, which was great)

Tom and I then both had dinner together. Once he was down, I drove over to Rachel's to babysit Mae whilst she and Phil had an evening out. I spent the time making cake decorations - got quite a bit done which was good.

Didn't get home until midnight (what a dirty stop out I am - have forgotten what it is like to drive in the dark!)

No comments: