Search This Blog

Saturday 5 September 2009

I'm very proud of our son.

Sorry we have been offline for a couple of days. We went down to Maldon to say goodbye to Gran. Not only did she not have a computer, but my Aunt also doesn't have one, meaning no access to the internet (how very backward, who'd have thought it and in Essex too!).

So, on Thursday it was Gran's funeral, we had an OK trip down but seemed to get stressed over time to get ourselves dressed, Tom dressed and all of us fed, however, we all got there in the end.

Members of the family that hadn't seen each other in 30+ years turned up to say their farewells. I must say I was very very proud of Tom, he was very well behaved. He stayed silent during the service, which included a fantastic speech from Dad, describing Gran. He pitched it exactly right and did her proud.

Tom then spent the rest of the day doing the rounds with the relatives, he was a great distraction for everyone and ice-breaker for those who didn't know each other. Ann and Richard from Harrow turned up, along with Julian (Dad's cousin) and Suzanne (no idea how related - but a link from the Branch's time in Grenada)

Tom napped on the dining room floor without any fuss, and later on had a bath and went for his long sleep back on floor with not even a murmur.

The Branch family has certainly got confusing now, as Tom has a relative (not blood, but treated as so) who is 3 weeks younger than him, but a generation below him. How does that work? Mark's daughters, Fern and Dana were all over Tom, playing with him, but then they are part of a big family and are used to babies.

Judy gave me Gran's ring - apparently she told several people that she wanted it to come to me. I had no idea, and before I saw it, couldn't picture it, however, I recognised it instantly on sight. I stupidly didn't ask about the history of it, so will need to make enquiries. It's a heavy old thing, but I will treasure it - I am very very touched that she wanted me to have it.

Tom slept well in the B&B - he didn't keep us awake, but I couldn't sleep, too much going on in my mind, duvet too thick etc etc. He did, however, wake up far too early so we had a long play in bed, before taking him down to mum and dad's room at 8.

The owner of the B&B was very good, provided us with a high chair, which we got Tom to sit in (with lots of blankets wedging him in) and even provided some food and a Peter the Rabbit Bowl for him (was China, so we used a tupperware instead!) The morning was then spent strolling around Maldon (very good cake shop which Dana told us about - purchased some bits and pieces for Seren's cake) and then in Gran's flat. Was very strange, Judy wanted us to take anything we wanted to remind us of Gran, but I found it very hard, was as if we were scavenging. I found her old china dessert bowels which really reminded me of her - Bread Pudding, Creme Caramels and Banana Custards were always served in them when we stayed with her in Folkestone. They really remind me of Gran so I took them. Judy insisted that I take the rest of the set as well - so I have. Not sure what or where I'm going to put them, but it will be nice to see them from time to time and be reminded of her.

We left around midday and drove home. Tom was asleep the whole way, except when we stopped for lunch, which was perfect. As it was a Friday, we got ourselves a curry after putting Tom to bed.

I don't have any photos from our time away, was so busy looking after Tom, I didn't really get a chance. I'm hoping that some will come my way soon.

No comments: