Search This Blog

Thursday 8 October 2009

I can't sleep!


Sorry for lack of recent entries, the last few days have been a bit of a blur. Tom has managed to get himself into a very bad rhythm of sleep at night. You can see that he really really wants to sleep, but can't seem to be able to sleep for longer than 20 minutes at a time, so I have been going to his room to settle him again, again, again and again! On Wednesday morning I gave up and put Tom in bed with me, which worked for an hour, but only if I kept the light on. This has resulted in both of us being exhausted and irritable during the day. Tom has been crying a lot, and I have ended up a little emotional.

Yesterday I sent an SOS out to the girls and they came up trumps. I ended up round Rachel Z's house, with Amanda where Tom was taken off me and I was subject to some TLC, whilst at the same time, Matt was able to concentrate on work in a quiet house. We were all winners. Rachel lives in the middle of nowhere, we all went for a very long walk, which did a wonder of good for all of us - Tom fell asleep and woke up much happier, and I felt a 100 times better.

Tom did the same again last night, but we had some medication in to make him drowsy (as recommended by the HV) which I used as a last resort when nothing else would. It seemed to work and he managed a block of 3 hours, followed by a block of 2 hours, which was a big improvement. I have now got myself so tuned into his crying that although I'm exhausted, I'm finding it very hard to sleep - basically I can't sleep as I'm expecting him to call out at any moment.

Today, Tom has been a little bit better, although he is still crying more than usual during the day. His cold is better, although he is still snotty and he has a cough. He is still refusing vegetables and is continuing to loose weight - he is back down to 19lb 3oz.

Anyway, as I said I think he is getting better. We just need to sort out his sleep problem and I think we will be happy families again.

Pics - first one is of Tom attempting to eat a fish finger, I'm constantly trying to think of things to give him that he might actually eat. Not sure how much of a success it was: he pulled it apart, but I'm not sure how much of it actually got eaten. I have cooked him some pasta today to see if he will eat that.

No comments: