Search This Blog

Sunday 24 May 2009

6 miles with a 16 pound pack


Just look at that weather! Far too good to waste, so we decided to do a hike. Given that we hadn't gone for a proper hike with Tom yet, we thought we'd better start with something fairly unthreatening and picked out a 6 mile walk through Farndon and Chirton (near Chester). Flat it may have been, but far more scenic than we'd expected. As I'm fairly out of shape just now, I thought 6 miles of lugging his lordship round might do for my legs, but in fact it was surprisingly easy. Or should I wait until tomorrow before proclaiming myself pain-free? Nik & I had a nice lunch at a pleasant hostelry in Chirton and Tom had 10 minutes of the usual in the back of the car once we'd finished.

We were planning to visit Cheshire Farms (ice cream paradise) on the way back, but a text from Paul at no. 53 informed us that a BBQ was being held this evening out the front, so we decided to come straight home.

I did a bit of work on my little car while Tom had another feed and then filled his nappy pretty much to bursting point. He's been due a monster for a couple of weeks now, so it was bound to happen at some point.

The BBQ went very well, and we think we spotted another step in Tom's development. Grace, Hannah & Rebecca from down the road waved at him, and he waved back. If he'd done it just once, you'd have to say it was coincidence, but he did it 3 or 4 times. Progress? Anyway, he was very well-behaved and charmed everyone.

No comments: