Search This Blog

Tuesday 24 February 2009

2 Weeks Old Already

Young Tom is now a whole two weeks old - time really has flown. I can't believe how quickly I've taken to motherhood, I'd never touched a nappy until the day he was born and now I'm a dab hand at changing them in the dark at 3am!

Today we met the Health Visitor. She was very nice - used to be a nurse and a midwife, has two tabby cats plus her husband is a biker so lots to talk about. Poor Tom almost got forgotten! She gave me loads of information about support groups in the area to wade through. She stayed for an hour and a half, did Tom's hearing test, but was unable to get a reading on one ear as he is a little congested, so she is coming back on Friday to complete.

The Health Visitor was concerned about my eating pattern - apparently I'm not eating enough. As I am breast feeding I should be taking on an extra 1,000 calories a day. I should have breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner AND supper. She told me to go to Asda and buy biscuits and cakes to supplement my diet. I didn't need to be asked twice.

Apologies for my attire in today's picture, didn't realise my underware was so promient! Tom was wearing a 'I love my mummy' sleep suit, unfortunately you can't quite see it.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm going to poke my nose in again, hope you don't mind. If you do tell me to butt out ;)
HVs are notoriously, um, variable in how up to date their advice is (on all sorts of subjects but bf is a particularly dodgy one). If you are hungry you should eat more; if you are not, don't! 1000 extra calories a day sounds like a guarantee to have you piling on post-pregnancy pounds. (I have a bf book I can stick in the post if you would like to borrow?)
Kellymom is a brilliant resource for all things bf - and it reckons an extra 200-300 per day above pre-pregnancy consumption...
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-calories-fluids.html
Crawling back under my rock now...

Nik and Matt said...

Thanks for this, I must admit 1,000 calories did sound excessive. I told her that my energy levels dipped at 5pm to which her response was that I need to eat more. I don't plan to eat more for the sake of it, but will tune into what my body says - I'm enjoying my new slimline figure too much to loose it again!