Search This Blog

Thursday 5 February 2009

A Little Bit of Snow and Everything Stops!

Humph! Am in a bad mood!!!! It snowed last night, a couple of inches, nothing serious, but as usual this country has come to a halt! Today is my 38 week check up, which I was planning to have at the Bumps and Babes group in Donnington as usual (a drop in clinic attended by a midwife). I got there at 10.00, it was closed. I hung around for a while, and then called a number I could see from the door to be told that the club is closed today because it has snowed which meant the midwife couldn't attend?!!!

So, I carried on to the surgery which is 10 mins walk from the drop in centre. I explained to the them what had happened, and was told that there is a midwife attending the surgery today (if a midwife can make it to the surgery, why can't the other one make it to the bumps club - they are more or less next door to each other!) However, I wasn't able to see her because she was fully booked and could I come back next Thursday. I said no, I want to see someone today. I was then told that I would have to phone the hospital for permission as they couldn't take my booking. I called the hospital, spoke to the maternity department who gave me permission for an appointment (they were rather bemused) and went back to the receptionist and told her that I had been given permission. She took my word for it and has told me to go back at 2.30. I could have spoken to anyone!!!

So, trudged back through the snow back home fuming at the situation, it's not like Telford is a small village, the gritting depot is in Donnington, and all roads in the area are fine. Humph!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Better hope it thaws before you go into labour if midwives are so easily deterred ;)