Search This Blog

Sunday 1 February 2009

Ceilidh in Chester

I'm now worried that Matt is nesting - I've just left him scrubbing the oven clean with some powerful caustic soda. What a star - the oven hasn't looked so clean since we bought it!

He is suprisingly not hungover this morning which I don't quite understand. Yesterday evening was spent at a ceilidh in Chester. It was Cameron's 40th birthday and Lisa had planned a party for him with characters from his present and past to ceilidh the night away. There was quite a group from Edinburgh University, including some that Matt hadn't seen for 16 years - I'm told that no-one had changed at all. There was a lot of beer, lots of shouting, but not enough kilts (I do love men in kilts). We only mangaged one dance (as I said there was lots of beer), I don't think we disgraced ourselves during it. A good time was had by all.



Back to baby matters, we also went for a tour of the PRH Maternity Wards yesterday. Not much going on there yesterday which was good as it gave us a chance for a proper look round. They deliver roughly 500 babies a year, which compared to Shrewsbury (over 4,000) makes it small and intimate, which I think is the nicer way to go. There are 4 labour rooms, including the waterbirth room which we have already seen - nothing remarkable about them - in fact they are much smaller than I thought they would be. Considering they recommend not to use the bed, there is little room to be anywhere else. There is also a 'Dad's Room' with free coffee, tea, television, rocking chair, sofa etc where they can go for a break - a nice touch which I think Matt liked.

Once the baby is out, there are 3 post natal wards, each with 4 beds plus a private bedroom you can rent for £50 a night. They all look quite comfortable and airy. Meals are taken communally in the middle of the unit at tables - which is also a nice touch, and there is also a breastfeeding room. There was only one new baby in the unit yesterday - so her mum would have had the full attention of all the staff (there are 2 midwives on duty at any one time, plus loads of students and other healthcare professionals). I hope when I'm there there is more than just me.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I was interested in Nik's reference to a waterbirthing room. Was there not an episode of "Men Behaving Badly" where Neil Morrissey assisted a lady with a water birth, and was that not the one where he bought Deborah a snake, which he tried to fush down the loo, only to find that it shot out again? It's amazing what the mind dredges up from the slightest of references as one heads towards retirement.

Love to all, Bob

Nik and Matt said...

Must look that episode up. We've got most of them on DVD.

Lisa said...

LOL @ the room for dads to get a break!

Simon, Clare and Jake said...

Having a break, you gotta be joking - that has to be the least used room in the hospital.

I can just see it now "you use that room then it's D.I.V.O.R.C.E!!!!!!!!!!"