Search This Blog

Tuesday 17 March 2009

Sick Boys

So, we all went to bed early last night. I think Matt was in bed for 3pm, Tom was asleep by 7pm, and I followed a little while later at 8pm! Tom had an OK night last night. Woke up for feeding at 11pm, 2.30am, 5.30am and 7.00am, but more importantly he settled down quite quickly each time. We have moved bedrooms, Matt is in the master bedroom (quick access to the loo) and we are downstairs - the last thing we want is for Tom to catch Matt's bug.

I was quite teary by the end of yesterday - Tom screamed the whole time he was awake - which isn't him. The only time he stopped crying was when I started crying! This morning I was still quite teary, Matt said to call the Dr as it is getting too much so I did. Went to see Dr Wright who was lovely. Tom screamed his way through the appointment (except when the Dr used his stethoscope). He said he couldn't hear the congestion (very strange as I can hear it all the time), however, he could see that Tom was working too hard to breathe and was concerned so he referred us to the paediatrician at PRH for the afternoon to double check that there isn't anything more serious up.

Went to PRH - they couldn't find anything seriously wrong which is a good thing. They have put it down to a viral cold and colic at the same time! They have given me infant gaviscon to try to help the colic (no known cure for colic but gaviscon sometimes helps) They said to make sure that Tom burps after each feed - this is something he hasn't been doing - not through lack of me trying - just that sometimes no amount of patting and rubbing will produce a burp - any advice? I have tried him over my shoulder, sitting up and laying on my knees.

Matt is better, didn't sleep last night, but hasn't had to rush to the loo since yesterday evening. He's now on a diet of chicken noodle soup, bananas and diaroylte!

Well it's 9pm, I've just fed Tom his usual and the gaviscon (via a syringe - not a complete success) and am hoping he will fall asleep soon, although he seems to be doing his usual thrashing about. Once he's asleep I'm going to hit the hay myself, I'm exhausted!

Sorry about the red eyes in the pic - if we put red eye reduction on the camera Tom always closes his eyes!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I'm sorry you are finding it hard going - hope Matt feels better soon and glad the GP took your concerns seriously.
I don't have any practical advice but I would say move your clock! It is *amazing* how much difference it makes if you just know you were up in the night but not at what time - if I have a clock I can see I calculate precisely how many minutes' sleep I have managed; if i don't know, I don't know.