Search This Blog

Friday 23 April 2010

Big birds

Today was my falconry day (my 40th birthday present from the Branches). After an enjoyable, but surprisingly chilly, 50 mile bike ride up to Sandiway, my fellow falconers and I were taken to the aviary to meet some of the centre's 80 birds of prey, which ranged from tiny kestrels to a huge sea eagle (8 foot wingspan). We then went down to a large field and were each given a very thick leather glove on which the birds were invited to land. Some of the larger birds can exert a pressure of 20,000 lbs/sq. inch with their talons, so gloves are pretty much essential. We were a fairly small group, meaning that everyone had at least 2 goes with each of the 5 birds that were used, namely, Buzz (buzzard), Obi (eagle owl), Ralph (harris hawk), Hal (kestrel) and Savannah (bateleur eagle). I was particularly taken with Obi, who had amazing eyes and stayed on my arm for ages, and Savannah, who didn't stay long on my arm, but almost snapped it off at the shoulder as she took off. It was a terrific experience, though, and being so close to the birds allows you to see just how graceful and majestic they are.

Three of us were staying for the full day, so after lunch in the restaurant (I wondered if if we'd be given golden eagle, chips and beans or something), we were taken out into the nearby woods to do some actual hunting with Diva and Finch, a pair of harris hawks. They didn't actually catch any quarry, but I reckon they were still full from yesterday, when Diva caught a duck. Still, it was great to see birds of prey operating in their natural environment. I carried Finch for a good while, and it was obvious that he had incredible eyesight. He was constantly on the lookout for things to chase and tried to launch himself from my arm once or twice. It took quite some effort to hold him back, and he didn't look best pleased.

So, a terrific day out and one I'd recommend to anyone. Thanks Branches! I had a good ride back and Nik & I then got stuck into a curry after Tom had had his bath and bottle. No murmurs from him yet.

No comments: