Search This Blog

Tuesday 20 April 2010

First day at nursery - very tiring (but I refused to sleep!)

So today was a big day in the life of Tom. It was his first morning at nursery. It went pretty smoothly, didn't look back when I took him there, quite happy to be left and play with his new chums.

I took advantage of my 'time off'. Did some filing (huge amounts of bank statements etc that have been collecting dust for a couple of months), upgraded my phone, registered with the inland revenue and then started doing some cake research. The standard of cake websites and cakes out there varies enormously - if I do a half decent cake website it will beat most of the competition. I found a couple of London based companies that do amazing work that I can only dream of. One of them had Heston Blumenthal in recently so he could learn how to put cakes together. If he goes to them, then they must be the best. Anyway, great for inspiration, although a little daunting.

Broke off at 12 for lunch, then went to collect Tom at 1pm. Found a dirty and very tired chap waiting for me. He was absolutely exhausted! He had refused to sleep in the morning (guess what, he was too nosey and wanted to see what was going on rather than sleep). He didn't eat much for breakfast (same excuse), but had toast for a snack and then ate up all his lunch. I had to sign an accident report form as well. One of the ladies had noticed a lump on his head, they were all confused because he hadn't cried at all. He was playing with blocks at the time, so I explained that he takes after me in that he comes up with lumps and bumps all the time and not to worry about it, he probably hit himself with a block and he came up with a lump. They will be very busy filling in the forms if they have to do that each time he has a bump. It had gone by the time I had got there.

The photographer had been in this morning as well and apparently he was grinning and playing up to him so they might just have to be purchased. He was falling asleep in my arms as I was chatting with the nursery workers so I took him home. Had to shout at him in the car to try to keep him awake for the 5 minute journey back (no luck). Got him out of the car and upstairs to his cot with him hardly opening his eyes. Wonder if he will sleep for longer than usual this afternoon?

Anyway a successful first day and no tears which was great.

So, he did sleep for longer than usual. After two hours I got him up as I was worried he would not wake up again today. Took him a while to come too, but he turned into the usual happy Tom after about 10 minutes. We went on a quick trip to Asda (I needed a pad of paper for my cake course which starts again tonight) then I let him free on his bus at the front of the house, however, I guess he was still a little tired as he whinged, so we came in and played in the lounge instead. He then had the biggest dinner - Japanese rice with Japanese topping, blueberries, banana, malt loaf and a rice cake with cream cheese - which he smeared over his face as illustrated above.

Then up the stairs, bath, bottle and bed. I went to my cake course and Matt stayed at home. He said he hasn't heard a peep from Tom yet...

PS - as you can see I have found out how to change the appearance of the blog (thanks Adam). I thought the background I chose yesterday was too autumnal. I looked for a summery one, but couldn't find one. Matt liked this one (surprise surprise) so thought I would use it until I get bored (or cross eyed)

No comments: