Search This Blog

Monday 6 July 2009

Sleep Sapping Monster

Today hasn't been great - I woke up in a bad mood. Think I'm irritable through lack of sleep, unfortunately Tom has picked up on it and been grizzly today as well - what a pair!

As you can guess last night wasn't great, he woke up at 12.30 and 4am. I fed him at 12.30, but at 4am he just wanted to play and refused to settle, it took a good hour to get him down again - I had to resort to feeding him to get him down. I don't think he wasn't particularly hungry or he would have cried, but the comfort seemed to relax him enough to get him to sleep again. Unfortunately it was after 5am until I got into my bed again. Tom was then awake at 6! Those of you thinking why I don't give him solids to help him sleep through - well I did yesterday - he had quite a bit of banana - it doesn't seem to have had any effect at all.

Anyway, morning went ok, Tom, however, wasn't happy to go for his nap this morning - took a good 15 mins to get him to sleep - normally I can put him in his cot, leave him and he falls asleep himself. 10am saw us out the house on the way to the central library for bounce and rhyme. It was a really good session, the presenters had lots of energy - was much better than the Newport one I went to a couple of months ago. Rose and Abi were there, so had a good natter. Abi has also been playing up with regards to sleep.

Got home for lunch, then had an afternoon in. As I said, Tom was grizzly for most the afternoon. Again, he refused to go for his naps, crying and crying before finally falling asleep. I really don't know what is making him so unhappy / unable to get to sleep - he never had this problem before. I would nip it in the bud, if I knew how, but I am clueless at the moment...

Oh - almost forgot to mention, two 'interesting' things were delivered today - first, Tom's passport - very nice - they have redesigned it so all the pages have different birds on them. He will have that passport until he is 5 - I have a feeling he may change a bit between now and then. The other delivery was a new television. Whilst on holiday in Yorkshire we stayed in a cottage that had Sky. On Sky was NHK (Japanese Television channel which made Matt very happy). On our return home, Matt discovered that you can get NHK through Freesat, which is much cheaper than sky, so he ordered FreeSat. With FreeSat comes all the HD channels and our current TV isn't HD, so it only followed that we would need a new TV. The TV seems to have come before the FreeSat! Anyway our lounge is looking bigger and the TV stand isn't groaning under a huge weight anymore. It looks very nice.

So, it is now 6.15 and Tom is having his bath. An hour ago he did a MONSTER poo - it was enormous, as I picked him up, it poured out of his nappy through his clothes and onto the changing mat. It took a moutain of wipes to get him clean and the washing machine is now on boil wash - typical that he was wearing his nice dungarees and lovely vest. Anyway, he perked up immediately afterwards and became a nice happy baby again, so he wasn't catching a bad mood from me, it was his tummy giving him trouble.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Research shows that giving solids provides an average of 15 minutes' more sleep. I don't think you should hold your breath for that to be a miracle cure!