Search This Blog

Monday 20 April 2009

A 10 Hour Sleep


Can you believe this - Tom slept from 7pm to 5am last night!!!!! Maybe the longer trip in the car wore him out (even though he was asleep for all of it?!) As I said before, I'm feeling more tired as I'm now getting some deep sleep from which it is harder to wake up.

It dawned a lovely, clear day, so before not too long we were out and about. Today is Donnington Minis so we went there for 10.30. Only four of us turned up this week - which was nice got to have some good conversations. One funny thing that happened was that the health visitor was saying that with the hot weather it is ok to give your baby / toddler water in addition to milk to make sure they are hydrated. As soon as she mentioned water, Tom screamed (must be bad memories of the horrible dr he saw at the PRH). Everyone laughed, and I had to give him a big cuddle and reassure him that he would get plenty of milk! Oh, and I now know where to get Tom's big floppy hat - Next, so we need to go shopping - something neither of us likes, but with this weather Tom really needs one.

After the group, we went down the parade to get in dinner for the next couple of days, and then to the bakers to get Matt his hot pork roll and me a cheese sandwich (I'm putting dairy back in my diet bit by bit). We then walked back up the hill home and ate lunch outside. Tom had another feed and then had a good kick around in his chair. He is in a good mood today and full of energy - very happy, must be because he had a good, long sleep. According to 'the book' he is supposed to sleep for 2 hours at lunch time, but he has never done that. The most he has managed is 45 mins, although I prefer him to sleep at night rather than during the day!

In the afternoon I put Tom in his swinging chair (thanks Debbie and Adam) in the kitchen whilst I got dinner ready. I've been trying him in this chair for a week or so and he has always cried. Today he didn't cry, he didn't smile either (as you can see from the photo) but he seemed happy enough for me to make dinner whilst he looked on. This is a real break through as it allows me to do something useful whilst he is awake. (Oh and those of you who are worried about the sun on his head, don't worry I draped a towel over his head away from the camera).

Oh - another milestone, when Matt was preparing him for his bath he let out two real belly laughs. I missed them, but I believe him and think it's nice for a dad to experience a first. Matt certainly considers himself very fortunate as he has far more opportunity to spend time with Tom than most other dads.
Today we are experimenting again. Tom normally wants to sleep between 5 and 6 and I find it very difficult to keep him awake - but try very hard to do so. Today I let him nap until 5.30, then he kicked away until he went up for his bath at 6. We will see what happens...

No comments: