Search This Blog

Wednesday 19 August 2009

A Bad Day

Today has been a bad day. First of all - a bad night's sleep. Tom was awake at 1am and 4am. He went straight back to sleep each time, but I didn't. It was 3am before I got back to sleep the first time. This meant that I ended up hallucinating again - I thought I had a second baby in the bed and was too scared to move in case I crushed it, meaning once again I couldn't sleep. Also my back was aching big time which didn't help matters.

Today dawned sunny which was a good thing and 10am saw us at the Cricket Club in Shifnal doing buggysize with Rachel M. I did ok until the skipping where I went a bit mad, from there on I could hardly move! After the session I went back to Rachel's house - for drink and lunch.

Got home - get this Tom fell asleep at Rachel's, I managed to pick him up, put him in the car, take him out the car and get him into his cot without him waking up. Not bad, I took the opportunity to have a shower as I was stinking. Woke Tom up after my shower as he had been down quite a while. Noticed from the window that the car had been moved. Thought it was very strange so asked Matt if he had done it, he hadn't. I had forgotten to put the hand brake on, so the car had creeped backwards. The car has some dents and scuffs on it and the fence has bent big time. Bugger, how crap!

I then took Tom down to baby clinic - he now weighs 18lb 10oz, so he has put on 2oz in the last month - ie since I've been weaning him, so it is all going wrong, the Health Visitor wasn't overly concerned as he looks bright and healthy, but gave me some advice. The sheep poo and hard poo is wrong, it should be pate poo. She told me to give him some apricots, prunes and weetabix. I asked what size portions I should be giving and she seems to think that I haven't been giving him enough - she told me to double everything. She basically said that Tom isn't getting enough liquids and to give him more. I'm not sure how to do this - I offer him breast milk right through the day, thin down all his food so it is almost liquid and offer him water with his lunch and dinner. I explained this and she seemed to think that what I was doing was right, but maybe should give him more breast milk - I'm not sure how to, as if he isn't ready for it he refuses point blank and will not latch on.

Came home via Asda to get some prunes, apricots and cow's milk (for the weetabix). Am feeling pretty depressed about the whole thing, feel I have let him down, but am also upset about lack of help and advice you get about it. It seems that you are supposed to have an innate instinct that tells you these things, I obviously don't have it. Tomorrow he will be having weetabix for breakfast.

Lisa - thanks for your invitation, haven't had time today to go to ivillage, but will sometime soon.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Nik, give me a call if you think it would help to talk about it? (Or add me on msn messenger if you use it). If you HV isn't worried about his weight gain then you really shouldn't be: bf babies typically have fast gain to start with which slows *right down* later on - if it didn't, our children would be the size of elephants. Both mine droppped right down the (formula) centiles between 6 and 12 months, and many of my friends' did too.
I suspect today's worry and down-ness is abotu lack of sleep. Fingers crossed for a better night tonight.
I wish we lived a bit closer so I could offer a bit more support! Once the schools start back perhaps we could meet in Malpas or somewhere halfwayish one day? (I've heard there is a great playbarn there too - ulterior motive!)

Simon, Clare and Jake said...

Hi Nik, don't worry about the weight gain drop (what Lisa says is true, just imagine how big Tom would be if he gained weight as fast as he did by the time he's two!!!!!) - if you fancy a chat then pick up the phone.

Just a thought about Tom's sleep patterns - it was at this age that Jake cut his fist tooth and he went from sleeping quite well to waking up lots, so it could be teething and whilst we try not to use it all the time Calpol or a gum soothing gel can help (don't forget Tom has never grown a tooth before and its all new to him as well).

We have found with Jake that he sleeps well between teeth and then has a while of bad sleep when a new tooth is coming through, I guess you just get on with it:-)

Hope this helps xx

Nik and Matt said...

Thanks everyone, I am feeling better already - I think just a bad day which I need to draw a line under.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better - that's if I can get into my head that I only have one baby and our bed has just me and Matt in it, so I get some much needed sleep!

Am meeting up with all my NCT friends tomorrow and going swimming at that nice pool again, so all that should cheer me up.

Lisa - yes, a meet up would be lovely.

Thanks all

Nik x