Search This Blog

Saturday 8 August 2009

I can get blueberries everywhere!


As Tom didn't get to bed until after 9, I was hoping for a good night, however, he was up and needing feeding again at 2.30am and was awake for the morning at 6.50! Oh humm!

This morning I went pureeing mad, cooking everything in sight - so he should be sorted for a little while now and also now he's reaching 6 months, I will soon be able to introduce finger foods, bread, dairy etc etc. I want him to be able to feed himself as soon as possible, so we can do away with the purees and he can start eating what we eat.

Lunchtime saw us in Newport to do some shopping and have lunch. Tom refused to go to sleep whilst we were out, which meant that he had a longer sleep when he did eventually nap.

He woke up in a very good mood and full of energy, he spent 2 hours basically going mad - wriggling, laughing, gurgling, kicking etc etc. I tried him with some new tastes - peas and potatoes. He took his first mouthful, screwed up his face and was more or less instantly sick - with most of a previous milk feed coming up as well. Not sure if it was the potatoes or the peas or both he didn't like, but he refused anymore. He did take fruit though - apple and blueberries which he liked (first time for blueberries).

This whole weaning thing is very confusing, I don't know how much to give Tom, how many milk feeds he should have, if I should give him water with food, or what. There isn't any consistent advice out there at all, all the books say something different and health care officials are very careful to not tell you anything. I'm constantly worrying if I am doing the right thing. I don't think he is getting enough liquid as his poo is so hard, but I am constantly offering milk - which he refuses quite a bit of the time. Today I offered him water for the first time - just in an attempt to get some liquid into him. I think he took some. If he eats fruit and milk he is fine, but as soon as vegetables come into the equation his poo goes hard, which can't be right. The books tell you how much milk he should be taking, but as he is breast fed I have no idea how much he is getting. Oh humm, just another hurdle to overcome before something else comes up...

No comments: