Search This Blog

Tuesday 18 August 2009

No Sleep for Us


So, the towels under the mattress worked last night, Tom didn't spin. Instead he cried and cried and cried. After 2 hours I gave up and fed him so he would go to sleep, which he did. Took me another hour to get to sleep - so not a great night at all. I'm sort of lost now as to what to do.

Today we met up with Michelle and Seren, went for a walk around the Town Park and then had lunch in the Town Centre. Were talking 19 to the dozen, mainly about weaning and poo. Seren hasn't had the poo problems that Tom has had and has already moved on to meat, fish and bread. I'm not going to move Tom onto anything more until his poo is sorted out. Tom is happy and healthy on the whole, but I can't help feeling that I've gone wrong with weaning. I still can't find any literature about poo and weaning - I think it is assumed that you know what is right - why on earth that would be I don't know. All the literature tends to talk about the consistency of the food to be what baby can cope with in the mouth - chewing and swallowing. None tell you about the affect of the consistency of the food and poo. I am now pureeing everything to as smooth a consistency as possible and hope that has a positive affect. We compared routine, food intake etc, it seems more or less the same. We have the same problem in that we don't know how much food to give and I have the added problem in that I don't know how much milk Tom is having during the day.

I had the same problem with Tom today as Sunday in that he would not go to sleep when we were out, too much going on for him relax, so he went from 10am to 2pm with no sleep. He then only had 30 minutes. He woke up in a bad mood and cried and cried. I took him for a walk to the butchers and he cried all the way down there, in the shop and all the way back. He calmed down when we got to Asda - very strange - must be the ambiance or something because he started crying as soon as we got back and then threw up on me - for the third time today! I put him back in his cot and after some persuasion he went back to sleep. It's not a good day for him to be grizzly as I am irritable through lack of sleep.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Oh it sounds like you are having a hard time. Can I invite you back over to the weaning ivillage board, we always like a good poo chat ;) I'd suggest more breastmilk less solids though - I've forgotten how old he is (dur) but not much past the 6 month mark yet is he? And I don't honestly think that the smoothness of the puree will have an effect the other end, or not as straightforwardly as you are hoping.
Re quantities, it doesn't matter too much at this stage but you are *not* yet aiming for him to be reducing milk feeds - so if he is filling up with solids and dropping milk (I know you don't know what volume he is taking but you will have a feel for him missing a feed), it is a sign really to give a bit less solid for now. When he is big enough for kind of protein-veg-carb meals, a portion is about the size of his fist. Tiny.
Does that help at all?