Search This Blog

Sunday 6 December 2009

We think risotto is too filling

Another slightly better night. Tom woke at midnight, but just needed a gentle pat from me to send him off again. He then woke me at 5.15, but managed to get himself off. Unfortunately at 5.30 he started coughing and then crying, so I went in, gave him another gentle pat and that was the last I heard from him. So, I actually managed a 4 hour sleep which was fab. Matt tells me that he heard Tom crying at 3am as well (he was downstairs having escaped from me as apparently I was making 'farmyard noises' - something to do with being completely bunged up), I guess I must have been in a deep sleep as I didn't. I guess it didn't hurt him and he must have got himself off again ok, which I think is a good sign, maybe he won't bother to cry at 3am tonight?

Tom still has his cough and snotty nose, much worse first thing than during the day, but I feel for him as I have the same and feel miserable. Today we decided to go to the Frost Fair at Attingham Park (we are making the most of our National Trust tickets). So, once Tom had had his nap, during which I made a big load of butternut squash risotto for him (see, that 4 hour sleep really has given me some energy), we toddled off towards Shrewsbury.

Frost Fair was ok, but not particularly baby friendly, just too many people not looking where they are going. Came back via Ironbridge to see how the river was looking (not in flood) and then to a local garden centre which has a farm shop and lots of animals to look at. Put Tom in the sling and he went mad, full of smiles and laughter.

When we got home had a play, then at 3 Tom went for a nap. I was feeling quite groggy by then as well so went for a nap as well. Matt used the time to wrap Christmas pressies and write a few cards - what a swot!

The afternoon was spent playing with Tom, he was a bit grumpy, so it was hard work. Dinner time wasn't a great success, he refused nearly everything I gave him. I tried the rest of his lunchtime risotto, but he wouldn't take it, I pureed it, he still wouldn't take it. I then tried some pasta bake which he has really liked in the past, he wouldn't take it. I tried yogurt, which also got a resounding no. In the end I managed to get an Ella's pouch down him, unfortunately it was one with spinach in, so very green, it went everywhere, as I tried to get it in his mouth, such a mess.

He had a bath with his Dad, then I gave him his bottle. He didn't take it all, in fact left about a third of it. I was a bit upset, it takes me ages to express his milk, it feels a waste of time and effort when I end up pouring so much of it down the drain. Anyway, have come to the conclusion that the risotto he ate at lunchtime has 'bunged him up'. It was more chunky than things he's used to, so will probably take longer to digest, meaning that he was still full at dinner time. Although he was a bundle of energy whilst I gave him his bottle, he went down without a fight and we haven't heard from him since.

Today's pics - these are the two cakes I have completed as part of my cake course. The snowman one went to Dudley and the other one will be the Branch family Christmas cake this year. I am quite proud of them, have definitely learnt a lot during the course, I have signed up for the next term, when we are going to be learning to do more flowers.

No comments: