Search This Blog

Wednesday 11 November 2009

Bad, bad night and bad, bad day


An absolutely horrific night. When I went to bed, Tom was already awake, although not in distress, so I left him. At 11pm he was calling out, I went in, he smelt like he needed changing, so went and got his changing things and changed him. He didn't need changing, but he was on fire. His cheeks were bright red, even his legs were hot to touch. He wouldn't settle at all. I ended up stripping him down and giving him some Calpol and then cradling him in my arms for a good hour, trying to relax him to sleep (he was breathing very fast).

In the end it worked and he managed 3 hours sleep, I, however, was too worried to even think about sleep, ended up reading a book and flicking through some magazines instead. 3am saw him awake again, I went in, he had cooled down considerably, so I put him back in his sleeping bag and got him back to sleep again. 4am and he was awake again, this time he needed feeding so I did so and I got him back to sleep, he then slept through to 7.45am. I think I finally managed to get to sleep around 5am. Not great!

Matt phoned up this morning, he didn't sleep last night either - I wonder if he was tuned into us? Took Tom downstairs to mum and dad, they also said he wasn't himself, lots of drool and biting on anything, so they think another tooth is on the way.

Tom didn't eat much for breakfast - about half a fromage frais, I then put him back down for a sleep which went ok. When he woke up, he was still not himself, Mum and Dad decided to take him out for the day - down to the coast in Plymouth and a good bracing walk. Apparently he had a good time, cried a bit in the car on the way home and then fell asleep.

Once back home though, he started crying and crying. Nothing would placate him. He wouldn't eat anything at all for dinner. Mum and Dad were brilliant, I got quite upset at one stage, they took him off me and gave me strict instructions not to find them. You can see he's in pain, but what can you do to help him. I ended up squirting Calpol down him, which caused even more screaming, but Mum took him away and he ended up crying himself to sleep on her. Once awake again, Dad gave him a bath and for 20 minutes he turned into a different baby, happy and giggling, it was so nice to hear.

Unfortunately once out of the bath he started crying again, he must be so tired, he has had less than half his usual naps today. Dad dressed him and mum is now giving him his bottle. Fingers crossed he manages some good chunks of sleep tonight and whatever is hurting him sorts itself out.