Search This Blog

Tuesday 24 November 2009

A good sleep for one of us

A better night. Tom woke at 9pm, had a short cry and went back to sleep without any intervention, same happened at 1.10am. At 2.50, he woke and cried and cried, so I went in to see if I could help. My plan was not to pick him up, but it went a little awry as I couldn't find his dummy, in the end I had to take him out of the room whilst Matt put the light on to find it. Once settled, we left him to it, it was quiet for about 5 minutes, then he started crying and crying again. I went in, didn't pick him up, patted him, reassured him, then left him. He started crying again, but we decided to leave him to see if he would stop. Amazingly, after 5 minutes it went quiet, so in all it took half an hour to get him back to sleep again. Didn't hear from him again until 6.30. The night would have been an even better success if Matt and I had managed to get to sleep in between the crying episodes, but it wasn't to be. We both woke up at 1.10, and were awake until after 3.30. Oh hum, I just hope that Tom will get better and better, and then Matt and I need to work on ourselves.

Matt here. The shock of Tom almost sleeping through the night seemed to have an odd effect on me, as I woke up with something of a stomach bug and have had about a dozen trips to the loo today. I think the recent lack of sleep has run me (us) down and made me susceptible to things I wouldn't ordinarily suffer from. Fortunately, I didn't have much work today, so I did a bit of online Christmas shopping, gingerly ate my lunch, and went for a snooze and then a bath this afternoon. The bath felt nice but completely drained me of any energy.

Tom's been quite a charming little chap today, which is good considering that he's developed a cough. Nik walked him round to Asda this afternoon to get him some medicine for it. He ate a pretty good tea, had the usual "active" bath time and went straight down after draining his bottle. Good lad. Let's hope (a) he sleeps as well as he did last night and (b) we take advantage of it. My December batch of patent work will be in soon, and I need to be much more alive than today to maintain my standards.

Nik's out at her cake course this evening, so it's just me and the cat here watching NHK. I'm wondering whether a good shot of cask strength whisky will kill all the bad bacteria in my gut or just finish my stomach off for good. Only one way to find out....

No comments: