Search This Blog

Friday 13 November 2009

Better day

Well, what can I say, last night mum was an absolute star. Tom woke at 9.30 when I went to bed and screamed and screamed and screamed. Nothing would placate him. Mum came upstairs and took him off me, said that she would sleep with him and that she would bring him back to me for feeding. True to her word, she did that. She came to my room at 1am so I could Tom his feed. He wouldn't take it. He refused to suck, that's the first time that has ever happened. We ended up giving him a bottle instead. I then couldn't sleep, worrying about him not latching on.

I didn't hear from him again. Turns out that Mum took him down to Dad's office and slept on the sofa with him, to make sure that I couldn't hear him. She had his cot mattress on the floor, but apparently he refused to sleep on the matress, so he slept on her for the night, she used the sofa as her bed. What a star, well beyond the call of duty, but I was very grateful.

Tom was slightly better today, wasn't in so much pain. We had to give him Calpol in the morning, but after that he did ok. He was still drooling for the whole day. Didn't do too much today, we went for a walk round the village, but then the weather took a turn for the worse, so we headed back. After lunch I finished off Ziyoun's cake, whilst Tom played with Mum in the ball pool. He was relatively happy, but then he refused to go for his afternoon nap, cried for 45 minutes before going to sleep, which put his whole routine back.

He didn't eat much today - I think he managed a yoghurt and a couple of teaspoons of puree, that was it. After dinner, he had a play and then bath with mum and bed. He wouldn't settle. Once again he wouldn't take his dummy, and cried and cried and cried. In the end we gave up. We brought him into the dining room whilst we had dinner. He still showed no sign of going to sleep, so we gave him some calpol and mum took him through to Dad's room to calm him down and get him to sleep. Took 20 minutes, but he eventually went.

Today, mum and dad persuaded me to allow them to do the night shift with Tom so that I could get a unbroken night's sleep (apparently I was looking haggard and they weren't comfortable with me driving home alone as i was). We moved the cot downstairs into Dad's office so that he could sleep in his bed and put the monitor in with him so that mum and dad could sleep in their room. There are 5 doors between his room and mine, so there was no way I could hear him.

No comments: